public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
* insight/349: UI hangs using 6.8.1 on Linux (CentOS) and contact info on website is wrong
@ 2010-04-29 20:13 alan
From: alan @ 2010-04-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-gnats

>Number:         349
>Category:       insight
>Synopsis:       UI hangs using 6.8.1 on Linux (CentOS) and contact info on website is wrong
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Apr 29 20:13:01 UTC 2010
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     alan
>Release:        6.8.1

I sent the following message to insight@sources.redhat.com but the mail bounced, so the website pages need fixing.

Moe importantly...
I have used insight for a month or so, mostly successfully.  However, I've had situations where the UI hangs on me, as well as a few other issues.  I am running on Linux as covered in the version strings below...  My question is this.  I have a gdb installed with insight (which I configured and made on this system), plus a gdb that was already on my system.  I renamed the insight version of gdb to gdbb to be able to do "which gdb" and find any other copy.  See he version strings below.  Also, my insight was configured and built from the 6.8.1 download.

Should I be using the gdb (currently called gdbb) that came with insight when using insight, or should I be using the one that was there before.  I've been using the one that came with insight, but the UI hangs are getting very frustrating and causing me to ditch the program (just about).

Thanks for help with this...
Alan - alan@carwiles.com

alan{~:}1017$ which insight
/usr/local/bin/insight

alan{~:}1018$ which gdb
/usr/bin/gdb

alan{~:}1019$ which gdbb
/usr/local/bin/gdbb

alan{~:}1020$ gdb --version
GNU gdb Fedora (6.8-37.el5)
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu".

alan{~:}1021$ gdbb --version
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".

alan{~:}1022$ insight --version
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".

alan{~:}1023$ uname -a
Linux alan-dt 2.6.18-128.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Jan 21 11:19:46 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

alan{~:}1024$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.18-128.el5PAE (mockbuild@builder16.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)) #1 SMP Wed Jan 21 11:19:46 EST 2009
alan{~:}1025$

From: kseitz @ 2010-04-29 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, insight-prs, kseitz, nobody

Synopsis: UI hangs using 6.8.1 on Linux (CentOS) and contact info on website is wrong

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Apr 29 21:11:46 2010
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Thu Apr 29 21:11:46 2010
State-Changed-Why:
    1) As far as I know, insight@sources.redhat.com should work. I usually use @sourceware.org, but nonetheless, I will update the web page. [I believe sourceware.org/sources.redhat.com had some problems a day or two ago (failing drive?) and that may be why your message didn't make it through.]

    2) Ok, sorry this is so confusing, but... The executables "inisght", "gdb", and "gdbb" are all almost identical. "insight" and "gdbb" (the gdb built along insight) *are* identical except for one byte which tells "gdbb" to start with the console instead of insight.

    "gdb" (the system gdb) and "insight"/"gdb" differ in that the former does not contain any insight code (so "gdb -i insight" won't work as it will for "gdbb"). They also differ slightly because the system gdb, vended by Red Hat, has some modifications to make gdb work differently (often better) than vanilla FSF gdb on linux systems (particularly Red Hat's).

    So, in short: the insight and gdb that you built are completely the same. These executables are self-contained. Insight *is* gdb, but with the GUI stuffed into it.

    BTW, you can safely use configure's "--prefix" option to have the build install executables in some other place (like /usr/local on unix/linux systems) instead of the system path. If you then add /usr/local/bin in front of your PATH, whenever you type "insight" or "gdb", you will get the version you built. To get the system version, use "/usr/bin/gdb". That's what I do on a daily basis (except I keep insight stored in my home directory somewhere).

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=349

* Re: insight/349: UI hangs using 6.8.1 on Linux (CentOS) and contact info on website is wrong
@ 2010-04-29 20:43 Alan Carwile
From: Alan Carwile @ 2010-04-29 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: insight-prs

The following reply was made to PR insight/349; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alan Carwile <alan@carwiles.com>
To: insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com, nobody@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: insight/349: UI hangs using 6.8.1 on Linux (CentOS) and contact info on website is wrong
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:41:02 -0700

 Replying to verify this email does not bounce, since =
 insight@sources.redhat.com did bounce.

 Alan
 --=20