public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Building Insight for Cygwin
@ 2013-07-29  9:40 Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2013-07-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

 Hello!

 In order to improve Linux interoperability i decided to switch from MinGW
to Cygwin.
 How do i correctly build Insight for Cygwin ? I remember there were
prebuilt binaries which used native Windows interface, not Cygwin's X11. How
can i build this version ? Building TK/Win fails because of conflicting
headers (e. g. sys/select.h and winsock2.h).

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia

* Re: Building Insight for Cygwin
@ 2013-07-30 23:21 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2013-07-30 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Fedin; +Cc: insight

On 07/29/2013 02:39 AM, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>   How do i correctly build Insight for Cygwin ? I remember there were
> prebuilt binaries which used native Windows interface, not Cygwin's X11. How
> can i build this version ? Building TK/Win fails because of conflicting
> headers (e. g. sys/select.h and winsock2.h).

Insight uses a special version of Tcl/Tk which is checked into the
repository. That uses the native Windows APIs instead of X11. I know
that there are a quite a number of disgruntled Cygwin users who want
Insight to work via X11, though.

It's been a while since I tried this, so I'll give it a go.

Keith

* RE: Building Insight for Cygwin
@ 2013-07-31  5:54   ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2013-07-31  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Keith Seitz'; +Cc: insight

 Hello!

> It's been a while since I tried this, so I'll give it a go.

 Here i also decided to try this.
 First, WinAPI version of TCL fails to build because of mentioned conflicts.
Additionally, AFAIK Cygwin may dislike when some app directly messes with
Winsock.
 In order to overcome all problems i decided to use a mix. Cygwin version of
TCL + WinAPI version of TK. This way the program will use Cygwin API for
everything except windowing. Should work well.
 Additionally i do it on 64-bit Cygwin. Had to apply some patchwork,
currently it almost builds. I will report results.
 If you are interested in patches, i could approve them here at Samsung for
submission. However, in this case my first wish: could you upgrade TCL and
TK in the repository to the recent version ? Current version is quite not
friendly to 64 bits, as well as exhibits serious bugs (app becomes
inresponsive in certain scenarios, i have a workaround for this).

 P.S. If some users want X11 inferface, while some others want native
interface, may be add configure's option ?

@ 2013-08-01  9:04     ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2013-08-01  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Pavel Fedin', 'Keith Seitz'; +Cc: insight

 Hello!

>  Additionally i do it on 64-bit Cygwin. Had to apply some patchwork,
> currently it almost builds. I will report results.

 I have built somewhat runable version, but it crashes:
--- cut ---
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-insight
[New Thread 2292.0x1efc]
[New Thread 2292.0x1be8]
[New Thread 2292.0x14e0]

0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
#1  0x0000000468466239 in InitWindowClass
(titlebaricon=titlebaricon@entry=0x0) at tkWinWm.c:848
#2  0x00000004684691f7 in InitWm () at tkWinWm.c:895
#3  TkWmMapWindow (winPtr=0x600273aa0) at tkWinWm.c:2095
#4  0x00000004684ee69f in Tk_MapWindow (tkwin=0x600273aa0) at
./../generic/tkWindow.c:1569
#5  0x00000004684a3820 in MapFrame (clientData=0x60029cc00) at
./../generic/tkFrame.c:1778
#6  0x0000000000f91709 in TclServiceIdle () at ./../generic/tclTimer.c:704

 Sorry but i have neither time nor intention to deal with this further. For
now i'll continue to use MinGW version.
 I think if this is interesting task, we should work with upgraded TCL/TK.
Currently it needs patching even for 64-bit MinGW.

 P.S. Yes, i remember that i can use standalone TCL/TK for Windows. But -
it's inconvenient to have dependency on some 3rd party DLLs, this worsens
software's portability.