public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Bundled TCL/TK - update needed
@ 2014-01-21 11:33 Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-01-21 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

 Hello! I have already written about it once, but nobody replied.
 I build Insight for MinGW64, and want to try to do it for Cygwin64. However
i prefer to use TCL version which is included in Insight repository. There
is no binary TCL package available for MinGW64, and Cygwin version of TCL/TK
uses X11, which i don't want to deal with.
 May i ask to update TCL ? Currently i have to patch it in order to build
for 64 bits, and it has some bugs.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia

* Re: Bundled TCL/TK - update needed
@ 2014-01-21 15:23 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2014-01-21 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Fedin; +Cc: insight

Pavel>  May i ask to update TCL ?

How about migrating insight out of CVS and also simply not having Tcl
and Tk in the tree?

Tom

* RE: Bundled TCL/TK - update needed
@ 2014-01-27  7:25   ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-01-27  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tom Tromey'; +Cc: insight

 Hello!

> How about migrating insight out of CVS and also simply not having Tcl
> and Tk in the tree?

 Well...
 1. It's just convenient to have all dependencies.
 2. Where is the new GIT repository ? Some people on this ML claim it
exists, but the web page doesn't even mention it.

@ 2014-01-27 21:32     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2014-01-27 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Fedin; +Cc: insight

On 01/26/2014 11:25 PM, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>> How about migrating insight out of CVS and also simply not having Tcl
>> and Tk in the tree?
>
>   Well...
>   1. It's just convenient to have all dependencies.
>   2. Where is the new GIT repository ? Some people on this ML claim it
> exists, but the web page doesn't even mention it.

Yeah, I've been working on this a bit over the past weeks. Stay tuned
for something. Probably the first go will have no tcl/tk/itcl and
probably only work on linux.

Next big revision will contain fixes for MinGW. Next revision for Cygiwn
(using X, as requested by upstream).

Right now, I do not plan to put tcl/tk into repo, but I may very well
add it later on another branch of master, or I will package cygwin and
mingw Tcl, Tk, Itcl, Iwidgets for use by the build.

Or at least that's what I'm thinking right now... ;-)

Keith

* RE: Bundled TCL/TK - update needed
@ 2014-01-21 12:36 ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-01-21 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Roland Schwingel', insight

 Hello!

> AFAIK Tcl/tk 8.4 is out of service. I wanted to update the intree
> versions to 8.6 some time ago, but I was shifted away to do other
> projects after I did the initial porting of insight to 64bit windows.

 Would be nice if you do it. I think it should not take lots of time. Just
checkout and import.
Actually in my case 8.4 works fine enough on Win7 64bit, but with some
patches.

> I haven't built a cygwin version of insight for a long time. I am
> mainly using insight on mingw64 - where it runs very good as I am
> debugging mainly mingw64 code.

 Yes, MinGW version is better, but there is one thing. Actually my target is
an embedded ARM Linux system, and it's quite hard to use MinGW. For example,
in order to generate SquashFS images correctly, build libraries, etc, i need
support for symlinks. This is why i stick to Cygwin. And MinGW software
doesn't read Cygwin symlinks, so it is not easy to use "set sysroot" in
Insight.
 I could try building Cygwin version myself, however first TCL update is
needed because i don't want to carry on all that patches. This is why i'm
asking for TCL update.

@ 2014-01-21 12:00 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2014-01-21 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi Pavel,

insight-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 21.01.2014 12:33:37:

 > I build Insight for MinGW64, and want to try to do it for Cygwin64.
 > However i prefer to use TCL version which is included in Insight
 > repository. There is no binary TCL package available for MinGW64,
 > and Cygwin version of TCL/TK uses X11, which i don't want to
 > deal with.
Presently I build using tcl/tk 8.6 out of the insight tree for mingw64
The intree 8.4 is IMHO way to old and not suitable for windows Vista
and beyond not to mention 64bit.

 > May i ask to update TCL ?
 > Currently i have to patch it in order to build for 64 bits,
 > and it has some bugs.
AFAIK Tcl/tk 8.4 is out of service. I wanted to update the intree
versions to 8.6 some time ago, but I was shifted away to do
other projects after I did the initial porting of insight to 64bit
windows.

I haven't built a cygwin version of insight for a long time. I am
mainly using insight on mingw64 - where it runs very good as I am
debugging mainly mingw64 code.

Roland