public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Debugging threaded code on Linux
@ 2003-06-26 10:58 Evan Lavelle
From: Evan Lavelle @ 2003-06-26 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

I'm having various problems debugging threaded code on Linux 2.4.7-10/RH
7.2, with insight 5.3. ddd seems to be more stable, but I think it's
using an earlier version of gdb (5.0). The problems include fairly
frequent crashes, 'thread apply' not working well, and so on.

Does anyone have any experience of insight and LinuxThreads, and how
stable it is? Should I be expecting this?

Thanks

Evan
E.M. Lavelle
Riverside Machines Ltd.  mailto:anti.spam1@dsl.pipex.com
The 'From' and 'mailto' fields contained a valid address
at the time at which this mail was posted.

* Re: Debugging threaded code on Linux
@ 2003-06-26 14:28 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-26 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Lavelle; +Cc: Insight List

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 03:58, Evan Lavelle wrote:
> I'm having various problems debugging threaded code on Linux 2.4.7-10/RH
> 7.2, with insight 5.3. ddd seems to be more stable, but I think it's
> using an earlier version of gdb (5.0). The problems include fairly
> frequent crashes, 'thread apply' not working well, and so on.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of insight and LinuxThreads, and how
> stable it is? Should I be expecting this?

Make certain that the problems are in Insight. As far as I know, it is
very unlikely for the GUI part (Insight) to crash. More often than not,
it is the backend (gdb). Try debugging your program using command-line
gdb 5.3. (I think you can use "insight -nw" or "gdb -nw".)

Threads should work. Can you post a backtrace of the crash?

Keith