public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Question on snapshot packaging
@ 2004-12-09 19:13 Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-12-09 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

It looks like I'm going to have to fiddle my way around with manual
snapshots for a little while, but I have some questions for consumers of
snapshots.

How do people want me to package snapshots? I see two options:

1) The whole enchilada: package insight, gdb, bfd, and everything else
   that is needed to build insight into one giant tarball. Make diffs
   of this tarball available from snapshot to snapshot.

2) Insight-only tarball containing gdb/gdbtk, tcl, tk, itcl, and libgui.
   Provide diffs of this tarball from snapshot to snapshot.

Right now, I've done #2. I've written a web page about the process,
explaining everything in (what I consider) quite painful detail.

All I have to do is find someplace to put the snapshots...

Comments or other suggestions?

Keith

* RE: Question on snapshot packaging
@ 2004-12-09 19:21 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-12-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
> It looks like I'm going to have to fiddle my way around with manual
> snapshots for a little while, but I have some questions for
> consumers of snapshots.
>
> How do people want me to package snapshots? I see two options:
>
> 1) The whole enchilada: package insight, gdb, bfd, and everything else
>    that is needed to build insight into one giant tarball. Make diffs
>    of this tarball available from snapshot to snapshot.
>
> 2) Insight-only tarball containing gdb/gdbtk, tcl, tk, itcl,
> and libgui.
>    Provide diffs of this tarball from snapshot to snapshot.
>
> Right now, I've done #2. I've written a web page about the process,
> explaining everything in (what I consider) quite painful detail.
>
> All I have to do is find someplace to put the snapshots...
>
> Comments or other suggestions?

  I would have thought a snapshot ought to include everything necessary to build
a working executable, and not oblige people to go around grabbing bits and
pieces of the rest of the source tree from here and there.

  But I'm not a big "consumer of snapshots", so you don't have to rate my
opinion too highly :)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Question on snapshot packaging
@ 2004-12-09 19:36   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-12-09 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 11:18, Dave Korn wrote:
>   I would have thought a snapshot ought to include everything necessary to build
> a working executable, and not oblige people to go around grabbing bits and
> pieces of the rest of the source tree from here and there.

Normally, I would agree with you. But since Insight has been ostracized
from gdb, I'm really rather on my own. The goal (eventually) is to rip
insight completely out of gdb, and as soon as the code is freed, I will
start submitting patches to do that.

Keith