public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* question about Insight
@ 2005-05-21  3:59 郭 佼佯
From: 郭 佼佯 @ 2005-05-21  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 758 bytes --]

Dear Sir,
     I have been reading the source code of Insight. Could you help me.
     When programming with Tcl/tk and C, we generally code core function
with C and code GUI with tcl/tk. I¡¯d like to know how to implement the
interface between GUI and gdb in Insight. When gdb is running, it is in
wait loop. I¡¯d like to know how to pass the commands that received from
GUI to gdb. I have not found any documents about Insight¡¯s source code. So
I cannot understand the structure of Insight source code.
     Thanks very much for your time.

Sincerely yours,
Guo

ÓëÊÀ½ç¸÷µØµÄÅóÓѽøÐн»Á÷£¬Ãâ·ÑÏÂÔØ MSN Messenger:
http://messenger.msn.com/cn

* Re: question about Insight
@ 2005-05-23 16:34 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-05-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 郭 佼佯; +Cc: insight

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 03:58 +0000, 郭 佼佯 wrote:

>      When programming with Tcl/tk and C, we generally code core function
> with C and code GUI with tcl/tk. I’d like to know how to implement the
> interface between GUI and gdb in Insight. When gdb is running, it is in
> wait loop. I’d like to know how to pass the commands that received from
> GUI to gdb. I have not found any documents about Insight’s source code. So
> I cannot understand the structure of Insight source code.

Insight cannot be any different than your own applications. For the most
part, core functionality resides in C and the GUI in Tcl (and its
interpreter).

Gdb's event loop is not used (although it could). When the GUI needs to
execute something in gdb, it does exactly like any other Tcl/C[++] app
does: it calls new tcl commands installed into the interpreter. See
src/gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-cmds.c and others.

I am very surprised to hear that an experienced C/Tcl programmer
couldn't figure this out. Believe me when I say there are much trickier
things to figure out in Insight than this... This is also discussed in
the README file.

Good luck,
Keith

* Question about Insight
@ 2000-02-18 13:23 Howard Hall
From: Howard Hall @ 2000-02-18 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Can I run insight in a Win32 environment?

Thanks for your help!!

-Howard