public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Is it possiple to build multi-ice-gdb-server with insight
@ 2005-05-26  3:18 twomol
From: twomol @ 2005-05-26  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

all,hello!

		I trt to  imitate the steps  on http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/multi-ice.html to build the ice-gdb-server,with insight
,But when go to the step "Finally to build the multi-ice-gdb-server itself" ,there isn't a directory called "gdb/multi-ice" under the build directory .
		So,is it  possiple to build multi-ice-gdb-server with insight?
		Or we can use insight with ice-gdb-server which build with other verison's gdb?
	    Any suggestions will be  appreciated!

            Regards

        twomol
        twomol@bj1860.net
          2005-05-26

* Re: Is it possiple to build multi-ice-gdb-server with insight
@ 2005-05-26 13:48 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-05-26 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twomol; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 11:19 +0800, twomol wrote:
> all,hello!
>
> 		I trt to  imitate the steps  on http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/multi-ice.html to build the ice-gdb-server,with insight
> ,But when go to the step "Finally to build the multi-ice-gdb-server itself" ,there isn't a directory called "gdb/multi-ice" under the build directory .
> 		So,is it  possiple to build multi-ice-gdb-server with insight?
> 		Or we can use insight with ice-gdb-server which build with other verison's gdb?
> 	    Any suggestions will be  appreciated!

Beyond the build problem, I have no idea if the multi-ice target works
with modern gdb/insights, but if it doesn't, it shouldn't be too
difficult to fix, I should think (if it requires fixing).

I have not tried this on a windows box, but I did give it a try on
linux, at least to see if I could get a multi-ice build dir.

First the obvious: did you remember to pass "--enable-multi-ice" to
configure?

If you did and you did not get BUILD_DIR/gdb/multi-ice, then the problem
is configure. A little while ago, gdb moved to using autoconf 2.59
instead of 2.13.

As it turns out, configure.in (of autoconf 2.13 vintage) does not run
with the new autoconf 2.59 tree. But all is not lost. First, rename
src/gdb/multi-ice/configure.in to configure.ac. Next, edit this file and
change the line that reads "AC_PREREQ(2.13)" so that it requires 2.59.
Finally, re-run autoconf 2.59 in this directory. (Make sure you are
using autoconf 2.59! "autoconf --version" will tell you for sure.)

Finally, reconfigure and rebuild everything. I did this on linux and got
a multi-ice directory in my build directory (which is a configury bug:
multi-ice is only supported on windows/cygwin last I checked).

I don't know who is maintaining the ecos web pages, but I would
recommend sending a note to ecos-discuss asking someone to update the
sources for autoconf 2.59.

In any case, that should get you going. Good luck.

Keith