public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Installing insight with existing gdb
@ 2013-01-11  8:51 yashgt
From: yashgt @ 2013-01-11  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I am trying to install insight-6.8-1 on AIX 6.1. This tries to compile and
install gdb. However, I already have gdb installed on the server. Is it
possible to ask the Insight build process to use the existing gdb and not
build its own?

Thanks,
Yash

* Re: Installing insight with existing gdb
@ 2013-01-11  9:29 ` Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2013-01-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi Yash...

 > I am trying to install insight-6.8-1 on AIX 6.1. This tries to
compile and
 > install gdb. However, I already have gdb installed on the server. Is it
 > possible to ask the Insight build process to use the existing gdb and not
 > build its own?

Insight is not doing any kind of interprocess communication with gdb.
The insight executable IS in fact gdb + some libraries. It is linked
together into one piece of code. So you need to build it.

Anyway you shouldn't use 6.8. It is a "little" old. It is better
to build form CVS sources to get a decent insight.

Roland

* Re: Installing insight with existing gdb
@ 2013-01-12  1:29   ` yashgt
From: yashgt @ 2013-01-12  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

So i would imagine that there is source code for the Insight executable which
links to the libraries of GDB which are themselves compiled as part of the
build process.

If this assumption is true, and if I have GDB already installed, its
libraries may be somewhere on the system. Can I use the same libraries to
link with the Insight executable?

@ 2013-01-23 19:33     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2013-01-23 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yashgt; +Cc: insight

On 01/11/2013 05:29 PM, yashgt wrote:
> If this assumption is true, and if I have GDB already installed, its
> libraries may be somewhere on the system. Can I use the same libraries to
> link with the Insight executable?

That might be possible, but it will be a very manual process. The
problem is that Insight requires gdb's config.h and several other
build-generated files.

If you have a build of gdb lying around that you want to use, simply
drop in the missing insight bits and that would probably work (make sure
insight is of a similar vintage as gdb -- gdb changes rapidly and often
incompatibly). You'll need the tcl, tk, itcl directories (if you are not
using system-supplied versions), libgui, and gdb/gdbtk directories, too.

Keith