public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: "Thorsten Brehm" <brehm@gmx.net>
To: keiths@redhat.com
Cc: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Problem with Insight GUI mode
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hey,

I found the following email on the insight mailing list. Don't know whether
the subject is solved by now (couldn't find further follow-ups) or even
already
fixed in insight. But I found a way to get around the problem with "grayed
buttons"
when connecting to a remote target using a gdb script...

> On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 04:33, Peter Reilley wrote:
> > I have a problem with Insight 5.2.1 cross compiled for the ARM
> > processor.   Insight is running on X86 Linux.   I am using Insight
> > to connect to a remote target using Redhat's RDA.
>
> [Zowie.. 5.2.1 is old, old, old. Any chance I could convince you to go
> to 5.3 or CVS head?]
I'm using insight 5.3 - but experienced the very same problem (using
a remote power-pc target connecting through an Abatron BDI200 debugger).

> > When it starts up only the RUN button is enabled, all the others
> > are grayed out.   When using Insight/GDB in this manner you
> > cannot use the RUN command.    If I open a command window
> > and issue a STEP command, then everything is fine, the other
> > buttons are enabled.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand the sequence of events. When Insight is
> initially run, only the Run button will be enabled. This is correct.
> When you subsequently attach to a target, the other buttons should
> become enabled.
>
> Are you saying that after attaching/downloading/etc, only the run button
> remains enabled? That's a problem :-). There are a couple of things that
> we might be able to do to work around the problem.
Yep => same problem here. In addition also the source window is not
updated. So after connecting to a remote target the source window does not
show the correct source location for the current program counter.

> Can you open a console window and enter the commands:
>
> (gdb) tk gdb_target_has_execution
> (gdb) tk set ::gdb_running
tk gdb_target_has_execution returned 1
tk set ::gdb_running return 0

> Send the results when you are attached to the target (and the buttons
> are disabled).
>
> Try doing "tk gdbtk_update". Does that enable the buttons?
This updates the source window and shows the correct source location. So
this problem is fixed.
However, the buttons are still grayed.
I found out if I subsequently call
tk gdbtk_idle

Then the buttons are finally enabled! So, executing
tk gdbtk_update
tk gdbtk_idle
at the end of every gdb script file fixes the problem - well - works around
them... ;)

Kind regards,

Thorsten