public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.EDU>
To: Keith Seitz <keiths@cygnus.com>
Cc: Peter Shoebridge <peter@zeecube.com>,
	"Insight (GDB GUI)" <insight@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: libtool and lib?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 11:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz <keiths@cygnus.com> writes:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Peter Shoebridge wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build the latest snapshot of insight under cygwin b20.1 and
> > get the following error about libtool and lib, plus something about
> > cygpath.
> >
> > Anyone have a clue what I'm missing?
>
> As I recall, libtool has changed. The insight snapshot uses the newer
> libtool. I am uncertain if B20.1 can be used to build the debugger: B20.1
> is quite old. It _should_ be possible to hack around this problem.
> (You could try, for example, installing a newer libtool or hacking
> makefiles to support older libtool.)
>
> Mumit Kahn has managed to build Insight for cygwin native using the cygwin
> snapshots. If you would just like a prebuilt binary, take a look at the
> insight archives on sourceware. This message was cross-posted to the win32
> mailing list:
>
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/insight/1999-q3/msg00005.html

Actually, I never build anything on a windows box if I can help it. I
cross-compiled Insight on a linux box, and had to make a few tweaks to
fix minor configuration buglets when building for x86-win32 host. To
be strictly correct, I should use the term canadian cross here, not
just cross (the target and host machines were both different than build
machine).

Unfortunately, I blew away my source tree before I had a chance to commit
the changes. I'll hopefully retry this in the near future and forward the
patches to the list.

Insight *should* build on Cygwin b20.1, but I doubt if you can do that
without working around various, albeit minor, configuration issues.

Unless you have strong need for building it yourself (eg., to fix problems),
just use the binaries.

Regards,
Mumit