public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: James Ingham <jingham@cygnus.com>
Cc: tromey@cygnus.com, Insight List <insight@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: `dir'
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 14:30:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jim> But I was poking my nose in libgui, and noted the tantelizing
Jim> tclgetdir.c file...

Another wonderful piece of Foundry technology lives on!  Thanks, IanT.
Note that on Unix this works by using a hacked tk_getOpenFile.  I
don't know if those hacks are in the Insight Tk.

Jim> I am more likely to add the GUI, and have that do the right
Jim> thing, than add another hook to the CL.  Actually, it would be
Jim> nice to just have a generic pre or post processing hook in ALL
Jim> the commands executed by the gdb command interpreter, so you
Jim> wouldn't have to go add the hooks into the C code to do this sort
Jim> of thing.

My feeling is that what you really want is a way to be notified by the
gdb core when interesting state changes.  The GUI would run the "dir"
command, but would rely on this same notification to update the source
window cache.

You want this because then it doesn't matter how the state changes --
only that it has changed.

Whether this is done by hooking into the command interpreter in a
generic way, or more directly into the core (e.g. in this case in
directory_command()), I don't know.

Tom