public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* How does attaching to a process work?
@ 2001-04-12  8:08 Laurent Duperval
From: Laurent Duperval @ 2001-04-12  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a Tcl application running that I want to debug. The application is
tkrat, which adds an extension and loads it at run time. I want to attach to
a running tkrat process. So I go to the attach window and I select the
process. It also looks like I have to specify the wish interpreter that was
used to start the process. Now, the wish interpreter wasn't compiled with
debugging on but the tkrat extension was. I'm pretty sure the problem I'm
encountering is in the tkrat extension so I don't want to recompile wish.

Anyway, when I attach to the running wish process, gdb interrupts. THen I
click on the run button and a new wish process is started. Although the
original tkrat process was halted when I attached, it is no longer affected
once the run button on insight has been pressed. Any idea why this is
happening? Am i not doing it right?

Laurent Duperval < mailto:lduperval@microcelli5.com >

* Re: How does attaching to a process work?
@ 2001-04-12 10:39 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-04-12 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Laurent Duperval wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a Tcl application running that I want to debug. The application is
> tkrat, which adds an extension and loads it at run time. I want to attach to
> a running tkrat process. So I go to the attach window and I select the
> process. It also looks like I have to specify the wish interpreter that was
> used to start the process. Now, the wish interpreter wasn't compiled with
> debugging on but the tkrat extension was. I'm pretty sure the problem I'm
> encountering is in the tkrat extension so I don't want to recompile wish.
>
> Anyway, when I attach to the running wish process, gdb interrupts. THen I
> click on the run button and a new wish process is started. Although the
> original tkrat process was halted when I attached, it is no longer affected
> once the run button on insight has been pressed. Any idea why this is
> happening? Am i not doing it right?

Don't press the Run button after attaching to the process. You should
be able to set breakpoints and hit continue after attaching.

Mo

* Re: How does attaching to a process work?
@ 2001-04-12 11:32   ` Laurent Duperval
From: Laurent Duperval @ 2001-04-12 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Apr, Mo DeJong wrote:
> Don't press the Run button after attaching to the process. You should
> be able to set breakpoints and hit continue after attaching.

The continue button is inactive. And whenI attach to the process, it halts
until I press the Run button (which is the only active one).

@ 2001-04-12 11:57     ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-04-12 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laurent Duperval wrote:

> On 12 Apr, Mo DeJong wrote:
> > Don't press the Run button after attaching to the process. You should
> > be able to set breakpoints and hit continue after attaching.
> >

> The continue button is inactive. And whenI attach to the process, it halts
> until I press the Run button (which is the only active one).

Which version of Insight is this?

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

* Re: How does attaching to a process work?
@ 2001-04-12 12:00       ` Laurent Duperval
From: Laurent Duperval @ 2001-04-12 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fnasser; +Cc: insight

On 12 Apr, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> Which version of Insight is this?

Whatever was in CVS this morning between 11 and 12 EDT.

Laurent Duperval < mailto:lduperval@microcelli5.com >