public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* "Unable to restore previously selected frame"
@ 2001-04-22  3:54 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-04-22  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

What does this error mean?  It seems to pop up (literally, in its own
popup box) at seemingly random occasions.  Usually the first time is when
I execute a "p some_variable" in the console window, but after that it
appears according to its own mysterious whims.

I'm using CVS Insight sources.  Do I need to be concerned about this message?

Phil

* Re: "Unable to restore previously selected frame"
@ 2001-04-24  8:43 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-04-24  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: insight

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:

> What does this error mean?  It seems to pop up (literally, in its own
> popup box) at seemingly random occasions.  Usually the first time is when
> I execute a "p some_variable" in the console window, but after that it
> appears according to its own mysterious whims.

This is a warning that is generated from somewhere in the depths of gdb.
It is generated when, for some unknown reason, gdb cannot restore the
target state after an inferior function call. I seldom see them when I am
not doing inferior function calls or forcing a function return. I would
not expect to see this message simply from printing the value of a
variable (unless the variable is in an inferior function call).

> I'm using CVS Insight sources.  Do I need to be concerned about this message?

I usually just ignore them (but I haven't seen one in ages). YMMV.

You can also ask on the gdb list: maybe they have a better answer.
gdb@sources.redhat.com

Keith

* Re: "Unable to restore previously selected frame"
@ 2001-04-24  9:40   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-04-24  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Phil Edwards, insight

>> What does this error mean?  It seems to pop up (literally, in its own
>> popup box) at seemingly random occasions.  Usually the first time is when
>> I execute a "p some_variable" in the console window, but after that it
>> appears according to its own mysterious whims.

Keith> This is a warning that is generated from somewhere in the
Keith> depths of gdb.  It is generated when, for some unknown reason,
Keith> gdb cannot restore the target state after an inferior function
Keith> call.

Could this error be given one of those "never see this again" check
boxes?  (Then insert my diatribe about how this setting should be
saved in .gdbtkinit... :-)

Tom

* Re: "Unable to restore previously selected frame"
@ 2001-04-24  9:42     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-04-24  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: insight

On 24 Apr 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> What does this error mean?  It seems to pop up (literally, in its own
> >> popup box) at seemingly random occasions.  Usually the first time is when
> >> I execute a "p some_variable" in the console window, but after that it
> >> appears according to its own mysterious whims.
>
> Keith> This is a warning that is generated from somewhere in the
> Keith> depths of gdb.  It is generated when, for some unknown reason,
> Keith> gdb cannot restore the target state after an inferior function
> Keith> call.
>
> Could this error be given one of those "never see this again" check
> boxes?  (Then insert my diatribe about how this setting should be
> saved in .gdbtkinit... :-)

We should be able to come up with a way to do this...

Keith

* Re: "Unable to restore previously selected frame"
@ 2001-04-24 18:10     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-04-24 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Keith Seitz, insight

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:49:22AM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> >> What does this error mean?  It seems to pop up (literally, in its own
> >> popup box) at seemingly random occasions.  Usually the first time is when
> >> I execute a "p some_variable" in the console window, but after that it
> >> appears according to its own mysterious whims.
>
> Keith> This is a warning that is generated from somewhere in the
> Keith> depths of gdb.  It is generated when, for some unknown reason,
> Keith> gdb cannot restore the target state after an inferior function
> Keith> call.

Ah, okay, that explains things.  All is well.  Thanks!

> Could this error be given one of those "never see this again" check
> boxes?

Please please please...

Phil