public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: configure error in itcl
@ 2002-05-08  3:32 Stefan Heinzmann
From: Stefan Heinzmann @ 2002-05-08  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Sorry for creating such a flood of messages, I should work harder
before posting ;-)

 --- Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> After looking once more through the mailing list archive, I found a
> contribution by Keith Seitz that seems to be related to this problem
> (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2002-q2/msg00033.html). He said
> he'd got a "patch", but if he posted it somewhere, I was too stupid
> find it. Any pointers?

In the above message, Keith Seitz quoted Ton van Overbeek:

> I guess for cygwin tcl.hpj can be removed from AC_OUTPUT in
> tcl/win/configure.in.

I have now tried this myself and removed tcl.hpj unconditionally, not
knowing how Keith would do it in his patch just for cygwin. Ironically,
I'm now back to my original problem:

checking for Tcl configuration... found
/cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh
checking for existence of
/cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh... loading
checking for Tcl private include files... Using srcdir found in
tclConfig.sh: /cygdrive/c/stefan/src/tcl
checking for building with threads... no (default)
checking how to build libraries... static
checking for build with symbols... no
configure: error: The TCL_LIB_SUFFIX variable is not defined
configure: error: ../../../src/itcl/itcl/configure failed for itcl
Configure in /cygdrive/c/stefan/build/itcl failed, exiting.

I'm running in circles, it seems. Can anyone help? Mo? Keith?

Cheers
Stefan

Sie brauchen mehr Speicher für Ihre E-Mails? - http://premiummail.yahoo.de

* Re: configure error in itcl
@ 2002-05-14  5:12 Stefan Heinzmann
From: Stefan Heinzmann @ 2002-05-14  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: insight

 --- Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com> schrieb:
> Mo DeJong wrote:
> > The itcl configure should not load tclConfig.sh out of the tcl/unix
> > subdirectory. That file should not even exist when building under
> > Windows. Blow away your entire build directory and start over, that
> > should fix the problem. If it does not, make sure you generated a
> > new tcl/win/configure script with autoconf 2.13.
>
> I used autoconf 2.53 which appears to have a facility to fall back to
> version 2.13 depending on the contents of configure.in (at least it
> says so when invoked in a directory where there isn't any
> configure.in). When invoked in tcl/win it appears to use version
> 2.53.
>
> Since the configure script generated by 2.53 does not appear to work,
> assume that it really should be generated by 2.13, but why does it
> not
> do that automatically? I wasn't able to find what to put inside the
> configure.in file to tell autoconf-wrapper which version it should
> use,
> neither was I able to find a corresponding autoconf command line
> option.

I found a helpful message by Corinna Vinschen in the cygwin mailing
list that explained this topic with autoconf
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-12/msg00100.html). From that, I
conclude that configure.in is missing a line with AC_PREREQ(2.13). This
would be the case in src/expect as well. Without this, the newer
version is used automatically, leading to the error. Can you confirm
this? Is it ok to put AC_PREREQ(2.13) into the configure.in files or is
there more to it than meets the eye?

@ 2002-05-13  8:05   ` Stefan Heinzmann
From: Stefan Heinzmann @ 2002-05-13  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: Mo DeJong

Mo DeJong wrote:
> The itcl configure should not load tclConfig.sh out of the tcl/unix
> subdirectory. That file should not even exist when building under
> Windows. Blow away your entire build directory and start over, that
> should fix the problem. If it does not, make sure you generated a new

> tcl/win/configure script with autoconf 2.13.

I used autoconf 2.53 which appears to have a facility to fall back to
version 2.13 depending on the contents of configure.in (at least it
says so when invoked in a directory where there isn't any
configure.in). When invoked in tcl/win it appears to use version 2.53.

Since the configure script generated by 2.53 does not appear to work, I
assume that it really should be generated by 2.13, but why does it not
do that automatically? I wasn't able to find what to put inside the
configure.in file to tell autoconf-wrapper which version it should use,
neither was I able to find a corresponding autoconf command line
option.

Puzzled

@ 2002-05-08 16:35 Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2002-05-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

> I have now tried this myself and removed tcl.hpj unconditionally, not
> knowing how Keith would do it in his patch just for cygwin. Ironically,
> I'm now back to my original problem:

You should be able to remove that file name or do a `touch tcl.hpj.in` and
then run configure again. This is odd because it is not a fatal error on my box.

> checking for Tcl configuration... found
> /cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh
>configure: error: The TCL_LIB_SUFFIX variable is not defined
>configure: error: ../../../src/itcl/itcl/configure failed for itcl
>Configure in /cygdrive/c/stefan/build/itcl failed, exiting.
>
> I'm running in circles, it seems. Can anyone help? Mo? Keith?

The itcl configure should not load tclConfig.sh out of the tcl/unix subdirectory. That file should not even exist when building under Windows. Blow away your entire build directory and start over, that should fix the problem. If it does not, make sure you generated a new tcl/win/configure script with autoconf 2.13.

cheers
Mo

* Re: configure error in itcl
@ 2002-05-08  8:48 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-05-08  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Heinzmann; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 8 May 2002, [iso-8859-1] Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> > config.status: error: cannot find input file: tcl.hpj.in
> > configure: error: ../../../src/tcl/win/configure failed for win
> > Configure in /cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl failed, exiting.
> >
> > Have I done anything wrong when I applied the patch?

I simply copied this file from tcl/tools to tcl/win. I have patches for
other things cygwin-related, but I have yet to really fix them. (They
involve modifying generated files; I've hacked the generated files, but I
need to modify the script which generates them.) These patches have been
posted somewhere, I'm sure. If not, just ask.

Keith

* Re: configure error in itcl
@ 2002-05-08  2:55 Stefan Heinzmann
From: Stefan Heinzmann @ 2002-05-08  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

 --- Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> After figuring out that I had to run autoconf in src/expect and
> src/tcl/win to regenerate the configure scripts (I'm a bit of a
> greenhorn, you see), the configure script failed at a different point
> with the following messages:
>
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating tclConfig.sh
> config.status: creating tcl.hpj
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: tcl.hpj.in
> configure: error: ../../../src/tcl/win/configure failed for win
> Configure in /cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl failed, exiting.
>
> Have I done anything wrong when I applied the patch?

After looking once more through the mailing list archive, I found a
contribution by Keith Seitz that seems to be related to this problem
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2002-q2/msg00033.html). He said
he'd got a "patch", but if he posted it somewhere, I was too stupid to
find it. Any pointers?

@ 2002-05-08  2:15 Stefan Heinzmann
From: Stefan Heinzmann @ 2002-05-08  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Mo DeJong wrote:
> I just posted a patch that should fix this problem.

Sorry, I didn't realize...  Thanks, Mo!

> Could you give it a test to double check that it works for you?

The patch to tclUnixFCmd.c complained, because for some reason my
source had the #ifndef already. Only the comment was missing. I tweaked
it by hand.

@ 2002-05-06 12:37 Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2002-05-06 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I ran into a problem when trying to configure

> checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) yes
>/cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh... loading

I just posted a patch that should fix this problem.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2002-q2/msg00071.html

Could you give it a test to double check that it works for you?

thanks
Mo DeJong

* configure error in itcl
@ 2002-05-06  3:18 Stefan Heinzmann
From: Stefan Heinzmann @ 2002-05-06  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi all,

I ran into a problem when trying to configure a unified
binutils/insight/newlib source tree which I pulled from the CVS server.

Here's the relevant output:

configuring in itcl
running /bin/sh ../../../src/itcl/itcl/configure  --host=i686-pc-cygwin
--target=e1-coff --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib
--cache-file=../../config.cache --srcdir=../../../src/itcl/itcl
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) yes
checking for object suffix... (cached) o
checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
checking for executable suffix... (cached) .exe
checking for Tcl configuration... found
/cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh
checking for existence of
/cygdrive/c/stefan/build/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh... loading
checking for Tcl private include files... Using srcdir found in
tclConfig.sh: /cygdrive/c/stefan/src/tcl
checking for building with threads... no (default)
checking how to build libraries... static
checking for build with symbols... no
configure: error: The TCL_LIB_SUFFIX variable is not defined
configure: error: ../../../src/itcl/itcl/configure failed for itcl
Configure in /cygdrive/c/stefan/build/itcl failed, exiting.
but the guy seems to have solved the problem without telling how. It
seems I'm not so bright. What's wrong, can anyone help?

Thanks & cheers