public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser@cygnus.com>
To: Keith Seitz <kseitz@firetalk.com>
Cc: tromey@cygnus.com, Insight List <insight@sourceware.cygnus.com>,
	gdb-local@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: core dump
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:

> I think that this kind of thing can also occur because re-running (and
> reloading symbols) invalidates all of the variable code. The trees that
> the variable object interface maintain contain LOTS of references to
> transient memory which is invalidated whenever an executable is re-run
> or symbols are reloaded. This is what makes it so fast compared to other
> solutions. The side effect is, though, that gdbtk must be REALLY careful
> about these buggers pointing to garbage because an objfile has been
> reread.
>
> I seem to recall adding something to gdbtk to catch this: whenever the
> no_inferior hook is run, it should deletes all variables. Srctextwin,
> watch, and locals windows should all do this... If not, you get
> seemingly random crashes like this.

This makes sense. But no_inferior (the callback you are refering to) is called and deletes all
variable objects.

So, the code in VariableWin and WatchedWin is doing the right thing.

Unless the hook is not being run...

Tom, can you invoke Insight with the debug window and see if "deleteTree" is printed in there when
you reload your file?

Thanks.

--
Fernando Nasser