public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@netscape.net>
To: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Various problems and/or questions on Insight 5.2.1
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

Having discussed this with others on the Cygwin list, I'd
like to chime in on this thread.  You said:

"Ugh. That means that more than just tcl and tk was messed
up by the "merge". [You know, I've often considered starting
over with the "port" to cygwin for 8.3 -- or with Mumit
Khan's work. It can't be nearly as botched as what we have
now.]"

If you do go this course, might I recomend that you use
Cygwin/XFree for the gui front end?  The Cygwin/XFree
project is just a few months away from rootless mode.  You
could have a tcl script automatically start the rootless x
in the background when the programmer starts up gdb.  This
would make supporting Tk much easier because you'd no longer
have this limbo state between the Unix and Win32
implimentations of TclTk.  The added benefit for some of us
is that it makes porting unix Tk based apps & libraries a
whole *hell* of a lot easier for the rest of us.  You should
see in one of the following messages a patch to add such
functionality.  Also of note is that the quest for Cygwin
mkfifo is back up and running, so hopefully we'll have that
soon.  The serial communications function that used to be
missing in Cygwin is now complete.

As for your other question, this thread has somewhat
summerized what needs to be done to merge his port in these
messages [I'd reccomend reading the whole thread though]:

I'm sure if you contacted Mumit, he'd be happy to assist in
merging the changes, as he pointed out in one of his posts.

Hopefully that will answer some of your earlier questions.
I really hope you'll considier this.  I'd do it myself, but
I'm somewhat over-extended at the moment (I'm sure you are
too).  Anyhow, feel free to disagree with my evaluation...

Cheers,
Nicholas