public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Bruce Korb <bkorb@pacbell.net>
To: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
Cc: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: multi-threaded debugging using Insight
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Bruce Korb wrote:
>
> > I'm still interested to know if it is supposed to be possible.
> > My use of popen seems to cause a problem, but there is no FAQ
> > and the folks on the gdb list did not even reply.  I solved my
> > immediate problem using printf debugging, but I would prefer
> > to use an interactive debugger.  Much easier.  Is multi-process
> > debugging new territory?
>
> What's the problem again? Yes, Insight/gdb should be able to debug a
> multi-threaded application. Can you follow forks and stuff into the forked
> child? No, that was never implemented (in GDB) for anything but HP.

The problem is that Insight is unable to follow anything after this.
The following is from the console window of Insight:

> This is version 5.2.1:
>
> (gdb) set args man2html.cat1
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /home/bkorb/tools/man2html/man2html man2html.cat1
> [New Thread 1024 (LWP 1930)]
> [New
> Error: Cannot find thread 2049: invalid thread handle
>
> (gdb)

See:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2002-q3/msg00185.html

That message was copied to gdb@sources.redhat.com, but there
were no replies from anyone.  After this point in the debugging,
I cannot do anything at all.  If I avoid the popen call, then
I don't see this problem.  Pretty sure there must be a connection  :-)
The platform is Linux 2.4.18 on i686 using whatever GCC SuSE shipped
with 8.0.