public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Building Insight
@ 2000-06-30 12:42 Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-06-30 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I cannot reproduce this problem. I think you need to remove your
config.cache and reconfigure, as it looks like the configure variable
ITCL_DIR is being set incorrectly somewhere.

Jim Ingham wrote:

 > Also sprach Cor van Loos:
 >
 > > Hello again,
 > >
 > > I downloaded the insight+dejagnu-2000-0612.tar.bz2 file and
decompressed it.

 > > After that I did the following:
 > >

 > > bash-2.04$ mkdir win32
 > > bash-2.04$ cd win32
 > > bash-2.04$ ../insight/configure --target=h8300-hms
 > > ... (All goes okay here, I think..)
 > > bash-2.04$ make
 > > make  all-recursive
 > > make[2]: Entering directory `/win32/libgui'
 > > Making all in library
 > > make[3]: Entering directory `/win32/libgui/library'
 > > TCL_LIBRARY=../../../insight/libgui/library/../../tcl/library; export
 > > TCL_LIBRAR
 > > Y; \
 > > here=`pwd`; \
 > > \
 > > cd ../../../insight/libgui/library && \
 > > echo " auto_mkindex `pwd` advice.tcl balloon.tcl bbox.tcl bgerror.tcl
 > > bindings
 > > .tcl canvas.tcl cframe.tcl center.tcl debug.tcl def.tcl internet.tcl
 > > font.tcl ge
 > > nsym.tcl gettext.tcl hooks.tcl lframe.tcl list.tcl looknfeel.tcl menu.tcl
 > > mono.t
 > > cl multibox.tcl parse_args.tcl path.tcl postghost.tcl prefs.tcl print.tcl
 > > sendpr
 > > .tcl topbind.tcl toolbar.tcl treetable.tcl ulset.tcl wframe.tcl
wingrab.tcl
 > > vent
 > > ry.tcl combobox.tcl pane.tcl panedwindow.tcl tree.tcl" |
 > > $here/../../itcl/itcl/u
 > > nix/itclsh.exe
 > > /win32/libgui/library/../../itcl/itcl/unix/itclsh.exe: not found
 > > make[3]: *** [tclIndex] Error 127
 > > make[3]: Leaving directory `/win32/libgui/library'
 > > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
 > > make[2]: Leaving directory `/win32/libgui'
 > > make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
 > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/win32/libgui'
 > > make: *** [all-libgui] Error 2
 > > bash-2.04$
 > >

 > Yeah, this looks like a configure bug in libgui.  I vaguely remember fixing
 > this in the past (or maybe Chris or Syd did?)?  Anyway, the configure is
 > setting ITCL_SH to point to the unix directory.  Clearly, it should
 > conditionalize based on whether the HOST is windows or not, and look in the
 > win directory if it is.
 >
 > I think you can fix this with an environment variable, so if itclsh.exe is
 > in /win32/itcl/itcl/win, then try:
 >
 > make ITCL_SH=/win32/itcl/itcl/win/itclsh.exe
 >
 > If this doesn't work, just go edit libgui/Makefile, and replace the
 > unix/itclsh.exe with win/itclsh.exe, and that also will work.
 >
 > Somebody should fix this (not me, I ain't got no Windows boxes...)
 >
 > P.S. I also agree with Keith that libgui should NOT be trying to make the
 > tclIndex as part of the build.  It is too fragile, particularly since the
 > wrong version of Itclsh can cause really bad things to happen...

I probably broke this on Tuesday. I will look at this tomorrow when I am
back in the office.

 > Jim
 > Apple Computer
Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Building Insight
@ 2013-02-07 20:07 Bruce Dawson
From: Bruce Dawson @ 2013-02-07 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I'm trying to build Insight so as to have a graphical front-end for GDB on Ubuntu 12.04, gcc 4.6.3. I downloaded the 6.8-1a source (6.8a failed with a texinfo problem) and after adding --disable-werror to the configure command line made some progress on building. That is, I ran these commands:

$ mkdir insight; cd insight
$ ../src/configure --disable-werror
$ make

However I then hit this error:

checking for library containing gethostbyname... none required
checking for library containing socketpair... none required
checking for library containing waddstr... no
checking for library containing dlgetmodinfo... no
checking for library containing tgetent... no
configure: error: no termcap library found
make[1]: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bruced/source/insight/insight-6.8-1a/insight'
make: *** [all] Error 2

All of the directions I have found for how to build or install termcap are sufficiently dated that I don't trust them. Is there any advice on how to resolve this problem?

Does insight currently build and work? It appears that it hasn't been updated since July 19, 2009 (http://www.sourceware.org/insight/news.php) so I'm naturally curious as to whether this project is dead or not.

I definitely find that I am more productive when I can have source/disassembly/call-stack/registers/memory windows open simultaneously and I'm hoping that Insight is the solution for this desire. If there are other options that are being more actively maintained then please let me know.

* Building Insight
@ 2000-06-22  3:26 Cor van Loos
From: Cor van Loos @ 2000-06-22  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi everyone,

I am very new to this GNE/sygnus thing and don't know where to start. I want
to use Insight in the following configuration:

Host:   MS-Windows (95/98/NT4)
Target: Hitachi H8/3048F

- What files should I download and how can I install them?
- What steps do I have to take to compile Insightto uit my needs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cor van Loos