public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Toralf Lund <toralf@procaptura.com>
To: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
Cc: "insight@sources.redhat.com" <insight@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Insight + ARM-9 + BDI2000: Hang on exec
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:04:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:

>I think you're running into multiple problems...
>
>On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 01:12, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>Yes, it runs under gdb (I thought I said that). Well, actually, the code
>>crashes after a while, but I can at least set some breakpoints, have it
>>stop there, step the code etc.
>>

>Ok, that's a first good step.
>

>>One problem, though: I sometimes get
>><host>:2001: Connection refused.
>>for no apparent reason, when issuing a "target" command. If I try the
>>same operation again, it usually works fine.
>>

>My guess would be that since you're reusing the same port on the target,
>you're hitting the 2MSL wait state.

Probably something like that.

According to Abatron (the company that makes the BDI2000) support, you
can't expect re-connect to work due to timing issues. (They blame gdb
for this, not their own unit...)

>>Also, even insight was OK for a while, then something (related to the
>>application - insight hasn't changed) happened that made it stop working
>>- and I can't figure out what it is ;-/
>>

>:-(
>

>>I got it to hang simply by starting the code (which is why I didn't
>>think it necessary to give any steps), i.e.
>>
>>   1. arm-coff-insight <application>
>>   2. Run->Download
>>   3. Run->Run
>>

>[Note: You can just use the Run button to start your application. The
>Target Settings dialog defines the default behavior of the run button
>for various targets. For Remote targets, it connects to the target,
>downloads and continues execution.]

Yes. I figured that out eventually.

If I use Remote and select "run" without download first, the hang does
not occur directly. I'll get it a a later stage, though.

>So, when you do this, the UI just "hangs"? Control buttons disabled
>(grayed-out)?

No. Nothing changes; the UI just stops responding to input. I can't
select icons, open menus, scroll the source view, or even close the window.

> If so, open a console window and type "tk
>gdb_target_has_execution". What's the return value? Also try "tk set
>::gdb_running".

No can do. I can't open the console after the hang occurs, and if I have
one open before it does, that stops responding to input, too

>>After I wrote the original message, I discovered that there are other
>>ways, like
>>
>>   1. arm-coff-insight <application>
>>   2. Run->Download
>>   3. File->Exit
>>
>>(But Exit does work if I do File->Disconnect first.)
>>

>This is reminiscent of a long-standing gdb bug. But I could be wrong.
>The only way to know for sure is to step through the code and find out
>why it is hanging. Having the console window open might help, too.

The console window doesn't tell my anything, either...

>>Furthermore,
>>
>>   1. arm-coff-insight <application>
>>   2. Run->Download
>>   3. Control->Next Asm Inst (since execution start with start() written
>>      in assembler.
>>   4. Other "step" commands...
>>
>>Actually works, but if I try e.g. View->Registers, I get another hang,
>>but of a slightly different type; this time I get a "stop" icon and
>>"busy" cursor, but I'm not really allowed to stop the process.
>>

>I think that there is something wrong with register display in that
>version. Gdb has changed a whole lot since I last did any active work on
>Insight -- which means that no one else has active worked on it. As I
>recall, there have been numerous changes to register and memory
>handling, but let's deal with one issue at a time.

OK