public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Steven Johnson <sjohnson@sakuraindustries.com>
To: "insight@sources.redhat.com" <insight@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Current Status of Insight
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the informative reply.  I suppose the question is (and this
is the right place to ask it):

1. What do the user's of Insight think about this? Is it worth it? Does
anyone really care anymore?

>At one time I considered branching, dumping all the Tcl code (assigned
>to Red Hat) and rewriting in some form of gtk (all new code assigned to
>FSF). I don't believe there is enough interest to justify this work,
>though.

2. Is there enough interest to do what you say, and attempt to create an
insight derivitave, that is assignable to the FSF?  (Not suggesting
Keith do it, just gauging the interest, if it is there, then there
should be people willing to contribute to the effort (money or time or
both).)

>DDD, Eclipse CDT, xgdb (and friends) are all still options.

Yes they are, ive tried to use them, and even though they have some nice
fancy features, they just lack basic usability.  I keep finding myself
wishing they were more like Insight.  But that could just be my simple
brain.  And for what its worth ive never found the MI or CL Tack a front
end over the top approach to be (a) very effective, or (b) very
reliable.  I much prefered how Insight really just linked with GDB and
went from there.  There is a maintained TUI in GDB, so I cant see why
there shouldnt be a maintained GUI in GDB either.

So what your really saying (if i understand your post), is the main
impediment to breathing new life into insight (apart from re-writing
large chunks) is a standard FSF assignment.  Sheesh, i think that is
really weak for RedHat's part, given everything they have made out of
the work of the FSF and the GNU Licence.  How hard is it to just sign it
over, they obviously dont give two tosses about it, so whats the big
deal. (But i Digress).

I am sadened by this state of affairs, because I believe Insight was a
really great part of GDB.

Steven Johnson