public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Steven Johnson <sjohnson@sakuraindustries.com>
To: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Insight and Licencing of TCL/TK Code
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:15:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jon Beniston wrote:

>>   im going, im about to), i would not be assigning it's
>>   copyright to Redhat.
>>
>>See:
>>
>>http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/why-assign.html
>>

>Maybe he'd be happy to assign it to the FSF, but not to RedHat.

Precisely my point, I already have an assignment on file with the FSF
for any submissions i make to GDB.  I would consider changes to the
TCL/TK Code of insight to be submissions to GDB.  But the file has
"Copyright Redhat".  Im sure the code in those files isnt all from
RedHat.  So how can they claim the copyright for the whole file?  I am
happy to assign to the FSF.

BTW, I know the "Claim copyright to the whole file" is an accident of
history, and not some nefarious plot or intentional scheme from the part
of Redhat or Cygnus to disenfrancise contributors who thought they were
contributing to GDB under assignments to the FSF.  I dont blame Redhat
for it, im just pointing out the difficulty moving forward of
perpetuating it.

If we submit in future, should we wrap our TCL/TK submissions in
"Portion Copyright FSF Start" and "End" so that in the event of a
re-write of the rest down the line, at least the stuff that Redhat didnt
author doesnt have to be re-invented.

It doesnt help anything else already in there that would fall under this
cateogry, but maybe in future, we should consider it.

I also noticed this issue seems limited to the TCL/TK portions of
insight, i havent noticed any Redhat copyrights in the C code that
interfaces the core of GDB with the TCL/TK Code.

Steven.