public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-14 18:02 OpenMacNews
From: OpenMacNews @ 2006-03-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: hermann.lichte

hi,

if i'm reading correctly, after a successful build of insight is
supposed to create a 'gdb' binary.

unfortunately, i find none :-/

my install step shows no trace of gdb being installed in .../bin.

./configuring with:

	./configure \
	--prefix=/usr/local/insight \
	--mandir=/usr/local/man\
	--with-mpfr=/usr/local/lib \
	--with-gmp=/usr/local/lib

all that IS installed in /bin is:

/usr/local/insight  > ls bin
	tclsh8.4  wish8.4

hmmm ...

i noted no ERRORs in configure, build or install steps.

looking back at my verbose configure console output, i *do* find:

checking for correct version of gmp.h... yes
checking for MPFR... yes
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     bfd opcodes gdb sim
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

which, at first glance looks suspicious.

checking the LIST, i find this thread:

	http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2004-q3/msg00085.html

abt similar error in different dirs.

looking in 'configure', i find:

case "${target}" in
  powerpc-*-darwin*)
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs bfd binutils ld gas opcodes gdb gprof"
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs sim target-rda"
    ;;
  *-*-darwin*)
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ld gas gdb gprof"
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs sim target-rda"
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ${libgcj}"
    ;;

which shows those dirs -- incl gdb -- as "nonconfigdirs". !?

so, how do i end up with a gui'd GDB for OSX?

any suggestions?

richard

- --

/"\
\ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email, vCards
/ \  & micro$oft attachments

[GPG] OpenMacNews at gmail dot com
fingerprint: 50C9 1C46 2F8F DE42 2EDB  D460 95F7 DDBD 3671 08C6

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-14 18:30 ` Hermann-Simon Lichte
From: Hermann-Simon Lichte @ 2006-03-14 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openmacnews; +Cc: insight

> checking for correct version of gmp.h... yes
> checking for MPFR... yes
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following
> subdirectories:
>      bfd opcodes gdb sim
>     (Any other directories should still work fine.)

I realised that you're trying to build Insight for debugging Mac OS X
applications. There are some peculiarities about Mac OS X, e.g., the
use of Mach-O object files instead of ELF object files due to
Darwin's Mach heritance. Apple keeps modified versions of gcc and gdb
at www.opensource.apple.com, and I don't think that these
modifications are considered in Insight. I can't think of any other
operating system that still uses Mach-O besides Mac OS X.

Cheers,
Hermann

* RE: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-14 18:50   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-03-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hermann-Simon Lichte', openmacnews; +Cc: insight

On 14 March 2006 18:30, Hermann-Simon Lichte wrote:

>> checking for correct version of gmp.h... yes
>> checking for MPFR... yes
>> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>>      bfd opcodes gdb sim
>>     (Any other directories should still work fine.)
>
> I realised that you're trying to build Insight for debugging Mac OS X
> applications. There are some peculiarities about Mac OS X, e.g., the
> use of Mach-O object files instead of ELF object files due to
> Darwin's Mach heritance. Apple keeps modified versions of gcc and gdb
> at www.opensource.apple.com, and I don't think that these
> modifications are considered in Insight. I can't think of any other
> operating system that still uses Mach-O besides Mac OS X.

  Ah, that's just what I was going to point out in the 'other mail' I said I'd
be sending.  I don't know whether the apple version of gdb includes insight or
not, but if it doesn't, you could always try crudely wedging together the
apple gdb sources and the insight-specific subdirs and see if it works.  The
insight GUI is well enough decoupled from the gdb application that it might
work, or at any rate might work well enough to be getting on with.  For
instructions on how to munge an insight build into an existing gdb source
tree, see
http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2004-q3/msg00009.html

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built  ...
@ 2006-03-14 19:19   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-03-14 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hermann-Simon Lichte; +Cc: openmacnews, insight

Hermann-Simon Lichte wrote:

> I realised that you're trying to build Insight for debugging Mac OS X
> applications. There are some peculiarities about Mac OS X, e.g., the use
> of Mach-O object files instead of ELF object files due to Darwin's Mach
> heritance. Apple keeps modified versions of gcc and gdb at
> www.opensource.apple.com, and I don't think that these modifications are
> considered in Insight. I can't think of any other operating system that
> still uses Mach-O besides Mac OS X.

To clarify, the public FSF repository for gdb (which insight shares)
does not contain the code specific to running on MacOS X. I think
they've donated/merged their compiler changes, but zippo on the
debugger. Don't quote me on that, but I don't remember ever seeing
anything on gdb-patches to indicate that Apple is going to merge their
OS X work with the public sources.

If you're looking for something to do, though, I'm sure Apple and FSF
developers would _love_ to see someone spearhead this effort. Or do as
someone else suggested: try to plonk insight on top of Apple's gdb.
Probably not trivial, but probably a whole lot easier than merging Apple
gdb into FSF gdb. [I'm just guessing here, though.]

I might just be tempted to do something like this myself if I had access
to an OS X machine.

Keith

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-14 19:24     ` Hermann-Simon Lichte
From: Hermann-Simon Lichte @ 2006-03-14 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: openmacnews, insight

On 14.03.2006, at 20:19, Keith Seitz wrote:

> I might just be tempted to do something like this myself if I had
> access to an OS X machine.

This has really caught my interest. I am just grabbing the gdb
sources from the Apple website and I'll try to merge Insight 6.4.
I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers,
Hermann

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built  ...
@ 2006-03-14 19:37     ` OpenMacNews
From: OpenMacNews @ 2006-03-14 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: 'Hermann-Simon Lichte', insight

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-14 19:54       ` Hermann-Simon Lichte
From: Hermann-Simon Lichte @ 2006-03-14 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openmacnews; +Cc: Dave Korn, insight

On 14.03.2006, at 20:37, OpenMacNews wrote:

> i have zero interest in being the sole flunky with this goal ... so
> before i start flailing about --  how much interest IS there (here, or
> elsewhere) in getting insight playing nice with gdb on OSX?

Insight is included in Apple's gdb! I am trying to build it right now
which should tell you that you're not the *sole* flunky :D

Cheers,
Hermann

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-14 19:56         ` Hermann-Simon Lichte
From: Hermann-Simon Lichte @ 2006-03-14 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hermann-Simon Lichte; +Cc: openmacnews, Dave Korn, insight

On 14.03.2006, at 20:54, Hermann-Simon Lichte wrote:

> Insight is included in Apple's gdb! I am trying to build it right
> now which should tell you that you're not the *sole* flunky :D

I just noticed the following message when configuring gdb:

configure: WARNING: gdbtk isn't supported on powerpc-apple-
darwin8.5.0; disabling

Now it's getting interesting!

Cheers,
Hermann

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built  ...
@ 2006-03-14 20:14         ` OpenMacNews
From: OpenMacNews @ 2006-03-14 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hermann-Simon Lichte; +Cc: Dave Korn, insight

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built ...
@ 2006-03-15  9:39           ` Hermann-Simon Lichte
From: Hermann-Simon Lichte @ 2006-03-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openmacnews; +Cc: insight

On 14.03.2006, at 21:14, OpenMacNews wrote:

> hi hermann,
>
>> Insight is included in Apple's gdb! I am trying to build it right now
>> which should tell you that you're not the *sole* flunky :D
>
> by 'included', i presume you mean 'as source' ... or has it been
> somewhere rolled-out as a/the GUI-bin in the OSX devtools?

In fact XCode uses gdb as its debugger and I was just curious whether
you could debug any Mac OS X application with it. And you can!
Richard, why not use XCode for debugging? What you need to do is to
create a new empty project in XCode and add the executable to it that
you would like to debug (click on Project->New Custom Executable...).
Now you can start gdb from within a nifty Cocoa interface by clicking
on Debug->Debug Executable. I think you should give it a shot. The
debugger interface is awesome!

Cheers,
Hermann

* Re: insight builds with no errors on OSX, but gdb not! being built  ...
@ 2006-03-15 17:37             ` OpenMacNews
From: OpenMacNews @ 2006-03-15 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hermann-Simon Lichte; +Cc: insight