Eric Weddington wrote: >> Are you using mingw or Cygwin? You cannot build/run Insight or gdb on >> mingw (at least that was true the last time I looked at it). >> Officially, >> mingw is not a supported platform (although I have heard of people >> making having various degrees of success making it work). >> > > That's not exactly true, Keith. > > I can build GDB host=mingw target=avr for 6.5. I assume 6.6 works, though I > haven't tried it yet. AFAIK, support for host=mingw was put into the GDB > repo in 6.5. > > Insight also builds (same configuration), though I also ran into the issue > that it didn't produce an avr-insight executable. Dave Murphy (CCed) gave me > a patch that fixed it up, though the patch has a bunch of other stuff too. > This discussion is in the insight archives in the April 2007 time frame. > I have Insight 6.6. building with MinGW now for several targets including native. I'd like to submit the patches once they're cleaned up a bit - right now my patchset includes pieces for gdb as well as Insight. Recently I had the opportunity to test debugging over a serial port for an arm-eabi target and found that the Insight GUI failed for this option. It turns out that the code which fills the drop down with available ports uses /dev/com format which works in cygwin but not when compiled with MinGW where COM is required instead. Is it reasonable to replace the /dev/com parts with COM or should I check for cygwin and retain /dev/com there? I've attached this part of my local patch so you can see what I mean. Dave Murphy