public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: John Fine <johnsfine@verizon.net>
To: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
Cc: insight@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Can't debug x86_64 C++ programs.
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:
> The good news is that it is now my job to make gdb a better c++
> debugger, so my knowledge grows every day.
Can I put in an early request (maybe you've heard this one already) to
do something about the absurdly long function names.

In viewing disassembly, you get function name + offset as one of the
items on the line, but in typical templated code the function name is so
long that the actual disassembly is pushed off the right edge of the
display.

I can't think of a decent method to make a more concise display of
function name (maybe you can).  But failing that, I think you need an
option to drop it entirely.  Or is there such an option already that I
just haven't found?  I'm not very good at using gdb.  function name +
offset was never such valuable information that we really needed it and
when it is too bulky to use, it should go away.

For Insight's SRC+ASM view, I think putting the source line number on
each line in both panels would help a lot (again if that option is
already there, I'm not expert).  While that is less critical for gdb
itself than for a GUI, I think it would be a very useful option in gdb
itself (disassemble with the source line number shown on each line of
disassembly).  Hopefully other GUI's layered on gdb would give the user
access to that feature.

If you're not totally turning off optimization, any user looking at a
disassembly spends a lot of time figuring out which source line is
connected to each asm line.  It would make more sense for the debugger
to just display the compiler's version of that information.