public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Gene Smith <gds@chartertn.net>
To: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: 20090609-cvs bad on linux (build fail cygwin)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>
>> On all platforms, 6.8 builds (with the same script) and runs fine.
>
> I hate to say this, but this leads me to believe that a change in gdb is
> actually breaking insight. Insight has not changed much (if at all) in
> the last year or two. So there must be something under the covers, and
> that means gdb.
>
> If you can supply me with a detailed build and test procedures to
> reproduce the problem, I'll see if I can figure out what is going wrong.
>
> Keith

But I thought insight has it *own* gdb that never changes? Anyhow, here
are the step I use to build it:

mkdir insight_make
cd insight_make
copy in attachment environ.sh
copy in attachment 05makeInsight.sh
copy in attachment 05instInsight.sh
(adjust paths in scripts as appropriate)
mkdir insight_build
bring in cvs head (I think it is under src/ by default) and rename to
insight_sources:
	mv src/ insight_sources/
./05makeInsight
./05instInsight

That's it. However, to actually see the problem you need to be able to
bring up source window that actually attempts to do something, like step
through code or hit a set breakpoint. The non-responsiveness of the
source window (other than the command menu and icons at the top) is the
problem.

Hopefully, this will help.

Thanks,
-gene
P/S: I am still a bit confused as to whether I should be using the
"system" supplied tcl/tk or the tcl/tck code from insight. I think I am
using insight's. If I should use the system tcl/tk, how do I do that?