public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
To: yunlu liu <lyunlu@gmail.com>
Cc: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: can't open file in Insight
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/16/2009 02:12 PM, yunlu liu wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>    Thanks for your email.I try to just enter the filename in the
> console. It shows "undefined command". I try "help dir" and use the dir
> command. No results are shown.I also have no idea how to display the .c
> file. I wonder if I could read and complile the .c file via
> insight.Looking forward to your reply and thanks a lot for your
> consideration:)

I hate to ask this, but I feel compelled. Are you compiling your
application with debug info? That's the "-g" option to gcc? [Assuming
your using gcc, of course.] Insight/gdb should be able to automatically
locate your source files if you do.

To use the dir command:

If you source file lives in "/this/is/where/it/is/myfile.c", open the
console window and type:

(gdb) dir /this/is/where/it/is

That's it. Insight will remember this the next time you start. To see
the change immediately, change the display mode of the source window
from "SOURCE" to anything (like ASSEMBLY) and then back to "SOURCE". I
believe that should do it.

Keith