public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-15 14:22 Bahadir Balban
From: Bahadir Balban @ 2011-12-15 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keiths; +Cc: insight

Hi Keith/Christopher,

> On 11/08/2011 04:16 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>         Actually, I've been able to build this without much effort.  I just
>         don't like the current state of affairs wrt cygwin tcl/tk and insight so
>         I haven't been motivated to make a release.

Would you please share instructions on how to build Insight against
GDB-7.x?

We are using it in fashion of ICE debugging with QEMU and gdb-6.8 seem
to have debug issues with recent toolchains. I would appreciate a new
release.

> PS. I would be willing to offer up new insight packages for cygwin. I
> don't know how often I will be doing releases from here on out,
> though. Insight must eventually be replaced by something more robust
> and easier to build/use/develop.

The other 2 options to Insight that we have seen are DDD and Eclipse. I
think neither are good replacements. Insight is just very fast and
easier to use than both.

> PPS. Yes, we should discuss the "current state of affairs wrt cygwin
> tcl/tk". I would like to attempt to sort this out -- at least for us
> sourceware people.

We don't use cygwin at all. Plain debugging of a remote QEMU ARM target
in linux.

Regards,
Bahadir

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-15 14:38 ` Bahadir Balban
From: Bahadir Balban @ 2011-12-15 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keiths; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 16:22 +0200, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> Hi Keith/Christopher,
>

> > On 11/08/2011 04:16 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >         Actually, I've been able to build this without much effort.  I just
> >         don't like the current state of affairs wrt cygwin tcl/tk and insight so
> >         I haven't been motivated to make a release.
>
> Would you please share instructions on how to build Insight against
> GDB-7.x?
>
> We are using it in fashion of ICE debugging with QEMU and gdb-6.8 seem
> to have debug issues with recent toolchains. I would appreciate a new
> release.

Is it possible to compile Insight as detached from a specific GDB
version? In DDD ddd --gdb --debugger option specifies the GDB version.
This is the way we confirmed that insight's gdb and latest GDB differed
in the way they step through our latest compiled code. Insight is
skipping certain function bodies as if they were inlined.

Thanks,
Bahadir

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-17 18:14 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2011-12-17 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bahadir Balban; +Cc: insight

On 12/15/2011 06:22 AM, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> Hi Keith/Christopher,
>

>> On 11/08/2011 04:16 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>          Actually, I've been able to build this without much effort.  I just
>>          don't like the current state of affairs wrt cygwin tcl/tk and insight so
>>          I haven't been motivated to make a release.
>
> Would you please share instructions on how to build Insight against
> GDB-7.x?

Insight *is* gdb: they both live in the same executable. To build
Insight against GDB X.Y, just grab source from that genre and build it.
Or grab the insight bits and stick it into the source tree.

I will be doing an official insight release shortly after gdb releases 7.4.

> We are using it in fashion of ICE debugging with QEMU and gdb-6.8 seem
> to have debug issues with recent toolchains. I would appreciate a new
> release.

6.8 is ancient. Please use something newer. Just checkout CVS/GIT HEAD
and build it. That's what I've been using for over ten years, and I
seldom have any problems.

> The other 2 options to Insight that we have seen are DDD and Eclipse. I
> think neither are good replacements. Insight is just very fast and
> easier to use than both.

I agree. ;-)

> We don't use cygwin at all. Plain debugging of a remote QEMU ARM target
> in linux.

Then you're in good shape, since I run Fedora locally, and linux pretty
much always works.

Keith

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-17 18:17   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2011-12-17 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bahadir Balban; +Cc: insight

On 12/15/2011 06:37 AM, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> Is it possible to compile Insight as detached from a specific GDB
> version? In DDD ddd --gdb --debugger option specifies the GDB version.
> This is the way we confirmed that insight's gdb and latest GDB differed
> in the way they step through our latest compiled code. Insight is
> skipping certain function bodies as if they were inlined.

No. Insight *is* gdb. That's what makes it so much faster than Eclipse,
emacs, DDD, etc, all of which have to process MI. Insight is the same
executable.

Just checkout the latest sources and build. Like I mentioned in my other
email, I've been doing this for years.

That reminds me, I believe I have a patch to commit... O:-)

Keith

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-18 18:37     ` Bahadir Balban
From: Bahadir Balban @ 2011-12-18 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight, Dawid Ciezarkiewicz

On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 10:16 -0800, Keith Seitz wrote:
> No. Insight *is* gdb. That's what makes it so much faster than Eclipse,
> emacs, DDD, etc, all of which have to process MI. Insight is the same
> executable.

OK, thanks for the info.

> Just checkout the latest sources and build. Like I mentioned in my other
> email, I've been doing this for years.
>
> That reminds me, I believe I have a patch to commit... O:-)
>
> Keith

I built and installed the latest CVS (insight version 7.4-cvs). However
when I load an executable and step, the execution moves forward, but the
source screen does not update; it's in the very first state (with the
green bar stuck at the first line of source). Anyone experienced this
behavior?

Is there a known stable cvs branch? (I could not locate the git repo).

Thanks,
Bahadir

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-19 17:41       ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2011-12-19 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bahadir Balban; +Cc: insight

On 12/18/2011 10:37 AM, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> I built and installed the latest CVS (insight version 7.4-cvs). However
> when I load an executable and step, the execution moves forward, but the
> source screen does not update; it's in the very first state (with the
> green bar stuck at the first line of source). Anyone experienced this
> behavior?

I just built CVS HEAD to do some testing and build-fixing. I am not
seeing this.

If you open a console window and enter, "tk gdb_loc" after you step your
inferior, what does it say? This is essentially the function that the
GUI uses to update its location information from the inferior's state.

You can also open a debug window to see any warning/errors by entering
"tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin". As you step through your inferior, it
will update with any messages. [Alternative, set GDBTK_DEBUG=1 in your
environment before running insight. That will output the debug messages
to the file "insight.log".]

> Is there a known stable cvs branch? (I could not locate the git repo).

CVS HEAD is all there is. Insight is unfortunately not in GIT yet.

Keith

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-12-20 12:18         ` Bahadir Balban
From: Bahadir Balban @ 2011-12-20 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 09:41 -0800, Keith Seitz wrote:
> I just built CVS HEAD to do some testing and build-fixing. I am not
> seeing this.
>
> If you open a console window and enter, "tk gdb_loc" after you step your
> inferior, what does it say?

It updates normally.

> You can also open a debug window to see any warning/errors by entering
> "tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin".

This also seems perfectly normal as below. The execution is happening,
it is the source window that is not updating.

> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "busy" to "::.console0.console"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"
> (SrcBar::enable_ui) 0 - Browsing=0
> (GDBMenuBar::set_class_state) Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled
> (GDBToolBar::set_class_state) Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"
> (SrcBar) configuring runstop running
> (SrcBar::_set_runstop) running
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "update" to "::.console0.console"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"
> (SrcWin::choose_and_update) chose window ::.srcwin0.srcwin
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "idle" to "::.console0.console"
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"
> (SrcBar::enable_ui) 1 - Browsing=0
> (GDBMenuBar::set_class_state) Enable list is: Trace disabled  Control normal  Other normal  Attach disabled  Detach normal
> (GDBToolBar::set_class_state) Enable list is: Trace disabled  Control normal  Other normal  Attach disabled  Detach normal
> (GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"
> (SrcBar) configuring runstop normal
> (SrcBar::_set_runstop) normal

> As you step through your inferior, it
> will update with any messages. [Alternative, set GDBTK_DEBUG=1 in your
> environment before running insight. That will output the debug messages
> to the file "insight.log".]

Here is what I got:

> I global pref_set_defaults {}
> I global set_bg_colors {}
> I global r_setcolors {. -background #cccccc}
> I global r_setcolors {. -highlightbackground #cccccc}
> I global r_setcolors {. -textbackground #ffffff}
> I global r_setcolors {. -troughcolor #b8b8b8}
> I global r_setcolors {. -activebackground #b8b8b8}
> I global gdbtk_locate_main {}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing
> "debug "sec=$section num=$num tot=$total_bytes ok=$::download_cancel_ok""
>     (procedure "::Download::download_hash" body line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Download::download_hash .text 2032"}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing
> "debug "sec=$section num=$num tot=$total_bytes ok=$::download_cancel_ok""
>     (procedure "::Download::download_hash" body line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Download::download_hash .text 4064"}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing
> "debug "sec=$section num=$num tot=$total_bytes ok=$::download_cancel_ok""
>     (procedure "::Download::download_hash" body line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Download::download_hash .text 6096"}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing
> "debug "sec=$section num=$num tot=$total_bytes ok=$::download_cancel_ok""
>     (procedure "::Download::download_hash" body line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Download::download_hash .text 8128"}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing
> "debug "sec=$section num=$num tot=$total_bytes ok=$::download_cancel_ok""
>     (procedure "::Download::download_hash" body line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Download::download_hash .text 10160"}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing
> "debug "sec=$section num=$num tot=$total_bytes ok=$::download_cancel_ok""
>     (procedure "::Download::download_hash" body line 3)
>     invoked from within
> "Download::download_hash .text 12192"}
> E global {} {can't read "total_bytes": no such variable
>     while executing

[ Same message continues thousands of times, seems to be why loading the
image takes several seconds longer than expected. ]

Then during stepping, I get:

> [...]
> I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop normal}
> I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
> I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
> I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.console0.console"}
> I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
> I SrcBar enable_ui {0 - Browsing=0}
> I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled}
> I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled}
> I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
> I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop running}

Since I am doing some bug reporting, let me add that clicking on info_regs also crashes with a segfault.

This is the CVS HEAD.

Thanks,
Bahadir

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-11-09 23:32     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2011-11-09 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

> Actually, I've been able to build this without much effort.  I just
> don't like the current state of affairs wrt cygwin tcl/tk and insight so
> I haven't been motivated to make a release.

Ok, I gotta ask: What's the trick? If I checkout, e.g., the
gdb_7_3-branch and attempt to build tcl, the very first problem I run
into is a #include <winsock2.h> in tclWinPort.h, and it goes down hill
from then on out:

In file included from
/cygdrive/k/sources/insight/7.3.1/src/tcl/win/../generic/../win/tclWinPort.h:72,
	from /cygdrive/k/sources/insight/7.3.1/src/tcl/win/../generic/tclPort.h:22,
	from
/cygdrive/k/sources/insight/7.3.1/src/tcl/win/../generic/tclAlloc.c:29:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../include/w32api/winsock2.h:632:
error: conflicting types for `select'
/usr/include/sys/select.h:31: error: previous declaration of `select'
was here
make[2]: *** [tclAlloc.] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/keiths/sources/insight/7.3.1/cygwin/tcl/win'

I haven't investigated much, but I thought I might as well ask you about
it, since "[you've] been able to build this without much effort." :-)

> There's no need to do this.  The maintainer reads this list.

I thought you were here. :-)

Keith

@ 2011-11-09  0:17   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-11-09  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 11:14:38PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>Am 08.11.2011 18:50, schrieb Keith Seitz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Given some demand, I am planning on doing an official release of Insight
>> sometime just after the GDB 7.4 release (process starting soon).
>>
>> My primary goals for this release (largely just an update/bugfixes) are
>> that it build/work on Linux (my platform), MinGW, and Cygwin.
>>
>> I spent some time this weekend rummaging around the sources attempting
>> to get this stuff working. Here's a little status report on my progress.
>>
>> Linux: builds and runs okay. Found a memory corruption bug in the
>> register window (affects all hosts). Needs to be fixed before release.
>>
>> MinGW: Had patches lying around to get build working, but I forgot. So I
>> re-invented the wheel. No big deal. I will check these in. There is,
>> however, a startup problem with libgui on this platform. It complains
>> about being unable to find pkgIndex.tcl. Hopefully, not too painful to fix.
>>
>> Cygwin: This is the nightmare. Tcl et al are completely broken. Instead
>> of using my ancient Windows 2000 box, I have installed a VM on my linux
>> box and put a modern Windows installation in there. Now I see all the
>> problems that people have reported throughout the years that I could
>> never reproduce! Example: conflicts with winsock & Cygwin's posix layer.
>> Ouch. Currently, this is the only platform for which I do not have a
>> working build.
>
>That's been the status quo ever since Cygwin 1.7.0 got released.

Actually, I've been able to build this without much effort.  I just
don't like the current state of affairs wrt cygwin tcl/tk and insight so
I haven't been motivated to make a release.

>> I hope over the next few weeks, leading up to the GDB 7.4 release, to
>> get these problems resolved. If you'd like to help (especially with
>> Cygwin!), please let me know.
>>
>> If anyone has any other peeves or important bugs, please also let me
>> know, and I will try to address them before this next release.
>
>My idea is to contact the Cygwin mailing list (which is read by the
>maintainers).  Tell them your plans and ask for help with Tcl/Tk.  I
>suppose you'll hear "sorry, no maintainer" though.  And tell them that
>you need Tcl/Tk with POSIX-style networking.

There's no need to do this.  The maintainer reads this list.

cgf

* Re: Next Release Status
@ 2011-11-08 22:14 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2011-11-08 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Am 08.11.2011 18:50, schrieb Keith Seitz:
> Hi,
>
> Given some demand, I am planning on doing an official release of Insight
> sometime just after the GDB 7.4 release (process starting soon).
>
> My primary goals for this release (largely just an update/bugfixes) are
> that it build/work on Linux (my platform), MinGW, and Cygwin.
>
> I spent some time this weekend rummaging around the sources attempting
> to get this stuff working. Here's a little status report on my progress.
>
> Linux: builds and runs okay. Found a memory corruption bug in the
> register window (affects all hosts). Needs to be fixed before release.
>
> MinGW: Had patches lying around to get build working, but I forgot. So I
> re-invented the wheel. No big deal. I will check these in. There is,
> however, a startup problem with libgui on this platform. It complains
> about being unable to find pkgIndex.tcl. Hopefully, not too painful to fix.
>
> Cygwin: This is the nightmare. Tcl et al are completely broken. Instead
> of using my ancient Windows 2000 box, I have installed a VM on my linux
> box and put a modern Windows installation in there. Now I see all the
> problems that people have reported throughout the years that I could
> never reproduce! Example: conflicts with winsock & Cygwin's posix layer.
> Ouch. Currently, this is the only platform for which I do not have a
> working build.

That's been the status quo ever since Cygwin 1.7.0 got released.

> I hope over the next few weeks, leading up to the GDB 7.4 release, to
> get these problems resolved. If you'd like to help (especially with
> Cygwin!), please let me know.
>
> If anyone has any other peeves or important bugs, please also let me
> know, and I will try to address them before this next release.

My idea is to contact the Cygwin mailing list (which is read by the
maintainers).  Tell them your plans and ask for help with Tcl/Tk.  I
suppose you'll hear "sorry, no maintainer" though.  And tell them that
you need Tcl/Tk with POSIX-style networking.

* Next Release Status
@ 2011-11-08 17:51 Keith Seitz