public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
To: Roland Schwingel <roland@onevision.com>
Cc: insight@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Patches for insight to work native on 64bit windows
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:42:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 03/14/2012 04:48 AM, Roland Schwingel wrote:

> Some days ago I wrote that I am working myself on an insight version for
> windows native 64bit (mingw-w64). I am quite far with it. It runs quite
> fine here (both using gdb 7.4 and gdb head). I would like to send my
> patches.

That is excellent news. I haven't had much luck with Cygwin at all
lately, and I *really* wanted to get Linux, MinGW, and Cygwin working
"well" for a release. Alas, I have been swamped lately.

> For my personal version I am using tcl/tk 8.6 beta taken out of the
> fossil repos from core.tcl.tk (with some small windows specific
> changes). Insight still uses the tcl/tk 8.4 checked in the
> sourceware.org repos. In my eyes there is no way using tcl/tk 8.4 for
> windows 64bit. IMHO should the decision be taken to also update the
> version insight comes with to a more modern version.

This is an area I'd like to see change. I know that I have *not* used
the repo-supplied Tcl/Tk/itcl/iwidgets for well over two years. Instead
I use the system-supplied RPMs (Fedora 15).

But I'll bet that for Cygwin (and probably MinGW, too), we'll have to
keep using the in-repo version.

> gdbtk:
> Mainly get rid of very long time deprecated tcl api which is no longer
> present in 8.6 plus some 64bit windows changes and a small needed bugfix
> in global preferences dialog.

Sounds good.

> libgui:
> libgui hasn't seen any love for a very long time. I tried to keep my
> changes as minimal as possible, but to get it compiled for a 64bit
> windows and against newer tcl/tk required some changes.

Yeah, this stuff is way out of date, and to be honest, I'm not really
sure how much of it is used nowadays anyway. I few bits and pieces, I'm
sure (preferences, the tktable widget, one or two other bits). Since I
seldom (if ever) use windows, I am forced to rely on feedback/help from
actual users.

> iwidgets:
> Need to be updated to version 4.0.2 (from 4.0.1) to work with tcl/tk 8.5
> and up. I did (yet) not make any private changes here.

I have been using 4.0.2 locally (again, on Fedora), so that should not
be a problem.

> itcl:
> I updated to version 3.4.1. The old 3.3 does not work well with newer
> tcl/tk versions. I took the itcl initscript (with small changes) from
> itcl4 so it works also with newer tcl/tk.

Indeed. I've been using 3.4.7. All this speaks to a bigger question:
would it be possible to release system-supplied versions of tcl, tk,
itcl, itk, and iwidgets for Cygwin? I'm not sure how Chris, Corinna, et
al would feel about this, though. I don't know who would offer to
maintain those packages.

> Now I am revisiting all my patches and want to send them the next days.
> I think I will start with gdbtk and libgui. I will try to group them in
> logical portions.
>
> Any suggestions/objections?

Absolutely no objections. Send your patches along. [As I mention in
response to your other message, I may have to ask for an assignment
form. Unfortunately, despite my efforts through the years, I cannot seem
to get the FSF and Red Hat to agree to assigning ownership of gdb/gdbtk
and libgui to the FSF, so I need an assignment similar to what is used
for Cygwin contributions. Email me off-list and I can send you the form.]

Keith