public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight problem
@ 2013-05-15 20:36 Stinson, Michael
From: Stinson, Michael @ 2013-05-15 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I hope this isn't too trivial to bother you with. I am stumped.
Running Debian Linux
Using GNUemacs
on a Nasm program ("hello world")

When I try to bring up source in Insight I get

Error in sourced command file:
Invalid character '\f' in expression

Do you have a suggestion to solve this?

Michael Stinson

* Re: insight problem
@ 2013-05-15 20:42 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2013-05-15 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stinson, Michael; +Cc: insight

On 05/15/2013 01:36 PM, Stinson, Michael wrote:
> When I try to bring up source in Insight I get
>
> Error in sourced command file:
> Invalid character '\f' in expression
>
> Do you have a suggestion to solve this?

Are you attempting to use File->Source... for this? That doesn't do what
you think it does! :-)

The Source... menu option reads in/executes a gdb script. It is called
this (perhaps not so helpfully) because the equivalent gdb command is
also called "source".

If you want to look at a random source file in you executable, type it
into the file name combobox under the run button. Or you can manually
select it from that drop down list, but for non-trivial executables, it
is usually easiest to type it in and hit ENTER/RETURN.

Keith