I sent a user these instructions some time ago. Someone was recently asking on #gdb, so I thought I would publish this to the mailing list. I am attempting to switch insight to GIT, but no ETA yet. Keith ------ 1) Download/checkout gdb 7.6 (or 7.5 or HEAD) You can find directions for this on gdb's home page. The 7.6 release is imminent, so I would grab that via CVS (it's easier). You want to check out the "gdb_7_6-branch": $ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.org:/cvs/src login [enter "anoncvs" as the password] $ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.org:/cvs/src co -r gdb_7_6-branch gdb 2) Install build dependencies In addition to Insight's build requirements, you will need all of gdb's build dependencies installed. On Ubuntu 12, I believe you need to grab: tcl8.5, tk8.5, -dev itcl3, itk3, -dev iwidgets4 bison, flex texinfo ncurses-dev You will also need autoconf-2.64 and automake-1.11 to regenerate some configure files. These can be downloaded from gnu.org. 3) Checkout the the insight sources You can grab the "missing" sources from CVS. If you are in the branch checked out in #1, simply do: $ cd src $ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.org:/cvs/src update -dA gdb/gdbtk libgui 4) Patch configury and regenerate Apply the patch I've attached to the sources. This patch will allow you to use the tcl, tk, itcl, etc that you installed in #2: $ pwd /home/keiths/gdb-7.6/src $ patch -p1 < /path/to/tcl.m4.patch patching file config/tcl.m4 Now regenerate the affected configure files [You can safely ignore all the warnings.]: $ cd libgui $ autoreconf $ cd ../gdb $ aclocal -Ignulib/import/m4 $ autoconf $ cd gdbtk $ autoreconf 4) Build insight $ pwd /home/keiths/gdb-7.6 $ mkdir linux; cd linux $ ../src/configure --prefix=/usr/local $ make all-gdb install-gdb That should be all you need to do! It sounds like a lot, but it is actually pretty simple. Or maybe it is for me because I've been doing this for a long time.