public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* updated gdb source
@ 2013-08-21  4:01 Lisa McIlrath
From: Lisa McIlrath @ 2013-08-21  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I've been using insight for a number of years and it's great. Thank you!

I recently installed Centos 6 on a development machine and, although
insight will build, it will no longer run properly. After some
investigation I discovered that some patches had been made to the
dwarf2read.c and related sources in the gdb distribution due to the fact
that the int/uint definitions had changed with new versions of gcc. I
applied one patch and got insight to run, or at least not seg fault on
'unhandled dwarf expression opcode' when I tried to open the watch window.

So the problem seems to be that the gdb version distributed with the
source is too old. Brilliantly, I thought of replacing it with a newer
gdb source distribution. Unfortunately, that broke the build, and I have
thrown in the towel.

Is there any way to get an updated source version with fresh gdb code
that will build?

I would be eternally grateful if so.

Thanks,

Lisa McIlrath

* Re: updated gdb source
@ 2013-08-21  4:14 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2013-08-21  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lisa McIlrath; +Cc: insight

On 08/20/2013 09:01 PM, Lisa McIlrath wrote:
> Is there any way to get an updated source version with fresh gdb code
> that will build?

Two options here -- one available now, one in the coming weeks:

1) (available now) Use CVS/GIT head. This is what I use. I build every
other week or so. In a similar vein, grab the sources for a release and
the insight sources from the same time. I believe Kevin Buettner tagged
insight for the last gdb release, so you can probably just checkout the
"insight" module on the last release branch.

2) (available soon) Checkout the insight GIT repository and add gdb as a
remote git repository. Sourecware overseers just set this up for me, but
I'm on vacation for most of the week so I won't get to checking in
initial branches and testing until next week at the earliest.

Keith

* Re: updated gdb source
@ 2013-08-21 14:07   ` Lisa McIlrath
From: Lisa McIlrath @ 2013-08-21 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Thanks Keith.

That works, almost perfectly so far. The release version won't start due
to not being able to find tk.tcl in the usual places. (I didn't care to
chase that down.) The development version runs but still has an annoying
popup error when trying to watch a variable to the effect of:
"Expression is not an assignment (and might have no effect)" - but it
still opens the Watch window. I can live with that.

BTW, insight ran just fine on Centos 5.5 and fc18. It's just Centos 6
that is giving us heartburn. Unfortunately, that's what our customers
are running so we have to go with it.

Thanks,
Lisa