public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight installation - macOS Catalina (future Big Sur)
@ 2020-10-14 15:24 Miguel Galrão
From: Miguel Galrão @ 2020-10-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hey there I hope you are all well!
First things first, kudos on the debugger!
I’ve used it on my bachelor's degree (using a unix VM, kubunto if I’m not mistaken), all worked well.

Now I am in my Masters degree and need the same tool, but I’m locked in macOS, from what I’ve seen it’s possible to install it.
I already downloaded the sources from the ftp links, but I’m confused in some areas..

I’m following your guide, and trying to adapt it to my use case:
	host> ls
	src/
	host> mkdir insight-ppc; cd insight-pcc
	host> ../src/configure --target=powerpc-eabi --prefix=/opt/insight-ppc
	host> make
	host> make install

After extracting the zipped package (insight-6.8a.tar.bz2), I suppose the ’src’ folder you mention is the unarchived result (let’s call it sources).
Having these sources I am now trying to find the ‘configure’ folder, but there’s only a script with that name.

//////

After hitting the wall I started looking at the ReadMe files, and there’s tons of it because apparently this aren’t the sources for insight, but for many GNU compilers and indexers.
That’s why I need your help.

In a perfect world a nice .dmg and a couple of clicks would solve the problem of a macOS installation, I suppose such option is not available, right?
Starting from that assumption I would like your help in installing Insight for macOS.

Do I need anything more, beside the sources folder? If so please tell me what.
Once more, assuming everything I need is within the sources folder, please tell me the scripts I need to run.

//////

My use case for Insight is not commercial, purely educational and it’s really just this semestre.

I would really love the help, until then stay safe and keep up the good work!

Thanks!
Miguel

* Re: Insight installation - macOS Catalina (future Big Sur)
@ 2020-10-20 21:36 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2020-10-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Galrão, insight

On 10/14/20 8:24 AM, Miguel Galrão via Insight wrote:
> After extracting the zipped package (insight-6.8a.tar.bz2), I suppose the ’src’ folder you mention is the unarchived result (let’s call it sources).

Yikes. Don't use the tarball -- it is over a decade old!

I *highly* recommend checking out the sources and following the README.

$ git clone git://sourceware.org/git/insight.git

Please give that a shot.

Keith

PS. Also note that MacOS presents its own challenges, such as package
codesigning. GDB has a wiki page about this (https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/PermissionsDarwin). I have no idea how up-to-date that is, though.