public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Problem Running Insight
@ 2001-03-15 18:28 Raymond Jou
From: Raymond Jou @ 2001-03-15 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight-prs, insight, insight

I have successfully configured, built and installed Insight-5.0 on Solaris
2.7(see below).  But when I tried to run it I got the following error, but
combobox is installed at
/home/raymondj/work/install/insight5.0/share/cygnus/gui/combobox.tcl
Could it that be there is an environment variable needed to set?  Please
help.  Thanks in advance.

Raymond Jou
shasta<bin>%uname -a
SunOS shasta 5.7 Generic_106541-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80

shasta<bin>%gdb
Can't find a usable main.tcl in the following directories:
    /home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/share/gdbtcl
/home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/gdbtcl
/home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/gdb/gdbtk/library
/home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/gdb1.0/gdbtk/library

/home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/share/gdbtcl/main.tcl: can't find
package combobox 1.0
can't find package combobox 1.0
    while executing
"package require combobox 1.0"
    (file "/home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/share/gdbtcl/main.tcl"
line 47)
    invoked from within
"source /home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/share/gdbtcl/main.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 [list source $file]"

This probably means that gdb wasn't installed properly.

    while executing
"error $msg"
    (procedure "tcl_findLibrary" line 84)
    invoked from within
"tcl_findLibrary gdb 1.0 {} main.tcl GDBTK_LIBRARY GDBTK_LIBRARY
gdbtk/library gdbtcl {} $debug_startup"
    (procedure "gdbtk_find_main" line 11)
    invoked from within
"gdbtk_find_main"

* Re: Problem Running Insight
@ 2001-03-15 19:13 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-03-15 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raymond Jou; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Raymond Jou wrote:

> /home/raymondj/work/install/insight-5.0/share/gdbtcl/main.tcl: can't find
> package combobox 1.0

This is an indication of a possible install failure. Check if
INSTALL/share/cygnus/gui/pkgIndex.tcl exists. It should mention combobox.
You can add this dir to TCLLIBDIR to force it.

Have you grabbed the latest "development" snapshot? It is probably a lot
better than the standard "5.0" release. Right now the snapshots only
contain bug fixes, so they are much more reliable than the release (go
figure).

Keith

* Enhancing Insight To An IDE
@ 2001-04-04 14:13   ` Raymond Jou
From: Raymond Jou @ 2001-04-04 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz, insight, insight-prs

I have been using Insight for a short while.  Before that I was mainly using
DDD + gdb.  I think Insight is fairly functional complete and stable.
Thanks for those who put in the efforts of making Insight what it is today.

Has anyone (or perhaps many people) thought about or suggested enhancing
Insight to an IDE that incorporates GCC as well?  It might not be a trivial
effort, but I just want to know if there is popular demand out there for
such an IDE.

Raymond Jou

* Re: Enhancing Insight To An IDE
@ 2001-04-04 15:24     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-04-04 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raymond Jou; +Cc: Keith Seitz, insight, insight-prs

Raymond> Has anyone (or perhaps many people) thought about or
Raymond> suggested enhancing Insight to an IDE that incorporates GCC
Raymond> as well?  It might not be a trivial effort, but I just want
Raymond> to know if there is popular demand out there for such an IDE.

You might have better luck seeing if the Source Navigator people are
interested.  I think S-N is becoming an IDE (or is one already, I
don't keep close track of it).  It uses Insight as its debugging
component.

    http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/

Tom