public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: insight+dejagnu-20010225 internal error 206
@ 2001-03-02  5:45 robin.mitra
From: robin.mitra @ 2001-03-02  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: gdb

Michael,

actually I was thinking in a similar direction. As it turns out, the file to
load has sections "text", "data" and "bss" but NOT
".text" ...
(with a leading period).
I changed my linker script to rename the sections to have leading periods,
and now it seems to work...
The point was, this used to work in the insight-5.0 release.
Maybe it's a feature and not a bug, I don't know.

Thx anyway
Robin

@ 2001-03-02  9:24 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-03-02  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight, robin.mitra; +Cc: gdb

Hi Robin,

> actually I was thinking in a similar direction. As it turns out, the file to
> load has sections "text", "data" and "bss" but NOT
> ".text" ...
> (with a leading period).
> I changed my linker script to rename the sections to have leading periods,
> and now it seems to work...

Thanks.  I'll shelve this report, but I will keep it in mind when I work
when section offset code.

Michael

* RE: insight+dejagnu-20010225 internal error 206
@ 2001-03-01 10:20 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-03-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight, robin.mitra; +Cc: gdb

@ 2001-03-01  6:48 robin.mitra
From: robin.mitra @ 2001-03-01  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: gdb

I looked a bit further and now it says:

<screencapture>

$ powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw rominit.elf
GNU gdb 20010225
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin
--target=powerpc-eabi".../src/gdb/insight+dejagnu-20010225/gdb/partial
-stab.h:206: gdb-internal-error: sect_index_text not initialized

An internal GDB error was detected.  This may make further
debugging unreliable.  Continue this debugging session? (y or n)

<\screencapture>

OK, this seems to gdb related, so I'll post it there also.

After looking into gdb/partial-stab.h it seems as if a debug symbol is being
evaluated before getting the text section.
Has this happend before, could it be some obscure CR/LF issue again?

Any ideas?

Robin

@ 2001-03-01  3:52 robin.mitra