public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* cross remote debugging an ELF from windows with Insight
@ 2010-07-04  6:58 Alessandro Salvatori
From: Alessandro Salvatori @ 2010-07-04  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

   I am trying and cross-debugging remotely with insight... insight is
running on windows (32bit) and my gdbserver is running on linux
(amd_64). I guess that the cygwin build of insight doesn't understand
the elf format but just the PE one...

when i click on "run" after having specified my target as a gdbserver
on tcp, i have to pick my executable and as i do so I get the
following dialog box:

---------------------------
Error
---------------------------
Error loading "/cygdrive/c/Users/alessandro/
Desktop/GI/guestinfo_hack":
 not in executable format: File format not recognized

---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

thank you!
-Alessandro-

* Re: cross remote debugging an ELF from windows with Insight
@ 2010-07-04  8:31 ` Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2010-07-04  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sandr8; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 14:58, Alessandro Salvatori <sandr8@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am trying and cross-debugging remotely with insight... insight is
> running on windows (32bit) and my gdbserver is running on linux
> (amd_64). I guess that the cygwin build of insight doesn't understand
> the elf format but just the PE one...

You have known the reason.   Try configure --help with insight source
to get how to set the target of insight.

@ 2010-07-04  9:04   ` Alessandro Salvatori
From: Alessandro Salvatori @ 2010-07-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Zhu; +Cc: insight

mmm there's no official build that does that right?

i guess i'll need to start from getting a mingw crosscompiler from linux...

thanks!
--
-Alessandro-

@ 2010-07-04  9:10     ` Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2010-07-04  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sandr8; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 17:04, Alessandro Salvatori <sandr8@gmail.com> wrote:
> mmm there's no official build that does that right?

--target=TARGET   configure for building compilers for TARGET [HOST]

> i guess i'll need to start from getting a mingw crosscompiler from linux...

If you just want debug, you don't need them.

@ 2010-07-04  9:41       ` Alessandro Salvatori
From: Alessandro Salvatori @ 2010-07-04  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Zhu; +Cc: insight

how do i (reconfigure and) build insight for windows without a cross
toolchain???

thanks!
-Alessandro-

@ 2010-07-04  9:50         ` Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2010-07-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sandr8; +Cc: insight

Why you think you need a cross toolchain to build insight for windows?
Can you google "What is cross toolchain"

@ 2010-07-04 20:15           ` Alessandro Salvatori
From: Alessandro Salvatori @ 2010-07-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Zhu; +Cc: insight

i don't strictly need a cross toolchain, i guess I could build it
directly from windows, but I guess it wouldn't be easier at all.

why do you like going back and forth with quizzes?

-Alessandro-