public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: "Patrick Monnerat" <Patrick.Monnerat@datasphere.ch>
To: "Keith Seitz" <keiths@redhat.com>,
	       "David Fernandez" <david.fernandez.work@googlemail.com>
Cc: <insight@sourceware.org>
Subject: RE: Error while "make all": "make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/libreadline.a', needed by `gdb'. Stop."
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 03:45 PM, David Fernandez wrote:

>> I get the sources by doing:
>> yumdownloader --source insight
>> rpm -i insight-7.4.50-1.20120403cvs.fc16.src.rpm
>> cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS; rpmbuild -bp insight.spec cd
>> ~/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/arm-eabi/insight-7.4.50
>> ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/insight-7.4.50/configure --target=arm-eabi -v 2>&1 |

>> tee configure.out make -w all 2>&1 | tee make.out

> Zowie. Until recently, I didn't even know that Insight was in fedora!
> [cough]

>> gcc -g -O2   -I. -I../../../../BUILD/insight-7.4.50/gdb
>> -I../../../../BUILD/insight-7.4.50/gdb/common
>> -I../../../../BUILD/insight-7.4.50/gdb/config
>> -DLOCALEDIR="\"/usr/local/share/locale\"" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
>> -I../../../../BUILD/insight-7.4.50/gdb/../include/opcode
>> -I../../../../BUILD/insight-7.4.50/gdb/../opcodes/..
>> -I@READLINE_SRC@/.. -I../bfd
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, this is the problem since readline has been unbundled by the spec
file. The "system-readline" patch is incomplete. However it DOES compile
for 32 and 64 bits architecture in Fedora Koji. Thanks for signaling
this problem: I'll probably fix it in a future release.

> Looking through the 6.8 rpm (I'm on F15 right now), I see that it does
not list all the build requirements for gdb. I would recommend you
download/install the corresponding gdb sources (and deps). If you can
build the gdb RPM, then all the necessary "hidden" requirements are
present to build insight. All you then might be missing are the insight
deps. I'll see if I can't check out the latest insight RPM and get it
fixed.

The 6.8 RPM spec is outdated for more than one reason: no additional
work will be made starting with this version.

>> The same thing happens with insight-6.8-1 (after adding CFLAGS="-g
-O2
>> -Wno-error=set-but-unused-variable" to avoid a few benign errors).

> Eew. 6.8-1 is based on a version gdb that somewhere near four years
old.
> That spec file is obviously really, really wrong in many ways. [It
also includes a private copy of tcl, tk, itcl, etc. This is no longer a
requirement. The sources now look for system-installed versions. (hint:
install tcl, tk, itcl, itk, iwidgets, itcl-devel, tcl-devel, tk-devel)]

It may be wrong today, not 4 years ago ! (BTW: why don't you release
another stable tarball?)

There were NO private copy of tcl/itcl/etc: the rule with Fedora
packaging is UNBUNDLING; there was a lot of work to achieve it and the
objects you think are private copies are just fixes to the 6.8 insight
code to adapt it to the newer version of system tcl/itcl,etc.

The makefiles modern configure/makefile self-adapts to system installed
libraries, but at the time of 6.8 writing, this was not the case.
In addition, if real unbundling was possible, one could delete the
bundled library directories before compiling without problem: this is
not the case.

Now that 6.8 is burried, let's talk about 7.4.50cvs: real unbundling (as
in the preceding paragraph) is still not possible: there are references
to the library directories even if you use system-installed versions;
the spec file deletes the bundle directories to force an error if any
references to them is performed.

The --with-system-readline flag is unconditionally passed to ./configure
The spec file is perfectly well formed according to the Fedora packaging
guidelines. In particular, the build requirements are fully compatible
with the Fedora mock/koji environment.

To quickly build a non-official insight package, just remove the
"readline-system" patch and suppress the deletion of the readline bundle
directory: please remember this solution is not acceptable for an
official Fedora package.

Now, remember the spec file is Fedora-specific, and not part of the
insight repository. In particular, this means:

- Spec file and rpm patches bugs should be reported using
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ (as the spec maintainer, I'll be
immediately noticed of any insight package related activity).
- Hints/suggestions are welcomed, providing they respect the Fedora
packaging guidelines.
- Co-maintainers are welcomed, in particular for alternative
architectures (non-Intel, etc). There is already a maintainer for the
EPEL version, but he hasn't prepared the 7.50 version yet.
- If there's something precise I can do for alternative architecture
support in the spec file or Fedora-specific patches without breaking the
primary architecture builds, just ask.

But please remember I do not have the necessary infrastructure to test
your target cross-compilations, executions, etc. Thanks

Cheers,
Patrick