public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* A git repository for insight
@ 2014-08-04 13:57 Patrick Monnerat
       [not found] ` <53EE86A8.6070301@redhat.com>
From: Patrick Monnerat @ 2014-08-04 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi friends,

I've set up a git repository for insight:
https://github.com/monnerat/insight

It currently supports:
- Upgradable tcl, tk, itcl, itk, binutils-gdb via git submodules.
- Use of the latest (i.e.: today) submodules versions.
- Bundled iwidgets snapshot (20140625).
- gdb in synchronous mode only.
- libgui's tkTable working even in 64-bit mode.
- Compiles and runs on Linux (other platforms not tested).
- Submodule fixes via embedded patches.
- A freedesktop launcher file.
- Production of complete source tarballs.

The old CVS log has been dropped: however the ChangeLog files have been
retained.

It's "experimental", and is intended to supply some "reference"
repository while the official sourceware repository is not populated.

Comments and pull requests are welcome :-)

Patrick

* Re: A git repository for insight
       [not found] ` <53EE86A8.6070301@redhat.com>
@ 2014-08-18 18:45   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2014-08-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Monnerat, insight

On 08/15/2014 03:16 PM, Keith Seitz wrote:
>> It's "experimental", and is intended to supply some "reference"
>> repository while the official sourceware repository is not populated.
>>
>> Comments and pull requests are welcome :-)

I've never used git submodules before, so keep this in mind. Following
the README instructions:

$ ls
binutils-gdb  COPYING  itcl  iwidgets  Makefile  README  testsuite
configure.ac  gdbtk    itk   libgui    patches   tcl     tk
$ git submodule foreach --recursive git pull
$ echo $?
0

[i.e., it did nothing]

What did work for me was:

$ git submodule init
Submodule 'binutils-gdb' (git://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git)
registered for path 'binutils-gdb'
Submodule 'itcl' (https://github.com/tcltk/itcl.git) registered for path
'itcl'
Submodule 'itk' (https://github.com/tcltk/itk.git) registered for path 'itk'
Submodule 'tcl' (https://github.com/tcltk/tcl.git) registered for path 'tcl'
Submodule 'tk' (https://github.com/tcltk/tk.git) registered for path 'tk'
$ git submodule update
Cloning into 'binutils-gdb'...
remote: Counting objects: 700435, done.
remote: Total 700435 (delta 566091), reused 664136 (delta 563189)
Receiving objects: 100% (700435/700435), 215.82 MiB | 4.81 MiB/s, done.
[snip]

I have a bunch of follow-up comments to make. I'll try to get those down
in email in the next few days.

Thank you for your work on this. It is nice to have some help.

Keith

* RE: A git repository for insight
@ 2014-08-19  8:49     ` Patrick Monnerat
From: Patrick Monnerat @ 2014-08-19  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz, insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

> $ git submodule foreach --recursive git pull
[i.e., it did nothing]

Hi Keith,
I'm glad you're feeling better.

> What did work for me was:
> $ git submodule init

Sure! Submodules have to be initialized. I never pretended to have a
full git doc in the insight README :-)
Another way to get the whole stuff at once is to use "git clone
--recursive".
The info in the README file assumes you already have a "populated"
clone... But we can update it...

> I have a bunch of follow-up comments to make. I'll try to get those
down in email in the next few days.

I'll receive them with great pleasure.

> Thank you for your work on this. It is nice to have some help.

You're welcome.

Patrick

P.S.: about the RedHat insight user that had tested github insight:
he/she can contact me about problems via e-mail or comments at github.