public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Jim Ingham <jingham@apple.com>
To: Paul Breed <Paul@netburner.com>, <insight@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: .gdbinit initialization and GUI...
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Also sprach Paul Breed:

> I want to write a GDB script that
> loads a specific symbol table and the connects to the
> (already running) target. I can easily do this with
> GDB, but when the Insight GUI gets involved things
> don't work like you expect.
>
> How do I tell the GUI that GDB has already connected
> the target so it won't try to connect again when I hit
> the run button?

If you open the "File->target settings" dialog and open the "More Options"
panel you can set what "Run" means.  In your case, deselect the "Connect to
target" checkbutton.  If you close the dialog box, these settings will be
saved.

There is also a separate .gdbtkinit file that Insight uses.  If you find
yourself doing alot different for Insight, you might want to set this...

> Also the GUI sometimes gets confused and puts up the
> hourglass when it should not, is there any way to
> reset this?

Leave the console window open & off to one side.  When the cursor gets
confused, type:

(gdb) tk gdbtk_idle

Another way to do this is to use something like TkCon or TkInspect, and
connect to gdb using send, and type the same command.  This works even if
you have forgotten to leave the console window open.

This should reset the cursor state, and bring the GUI back to life.
However, this may or may not bring all of Insight back to a sane state.  If
this is happening often, you should file a bug report on it.

Jim
--
Jim Ingham                                 jingham@apple.com
Apple Computer