public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight 6.1 compile error in Cygwin
@ 2004-10-22 17:33 E. Weddington
From: E. Weddington @ 2004-10-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: Dave Korn

Hello!

[Sorry to break the threading on the Insight mailing list. Mozilla
Thunderbird does not handle replying to individual messages in a digest!]

I wanted to mention that I used to be able to build Insight 6.1
(technically a cross to the AVR target) in Cygwin. I just discovered
that I too am getting the same kinds of error messages, that starts off
with:

/usr/include/w32api/winsock2.h:95:2: warning: #warning "fd_set and
associated macros have been defined in sys/types.      This may cause
runtime problems with W32 sockets"
../../../insight-6.1/tcl/win/tclWin32Dll.c:54: error: initializer
element is not constant
../../../insight-6.1/tcl/win/tclWin32Dll.c:54: error: (near
initialization for `asciiProcs.buildCommDCBProc')

and continues.

Because I used to be able to build it in Cygwin (about a month ago), I'm
wondering if this is some sort of *recent* Cygwin issue. (I think I
might've upgraded my Cygwin since then.)

The reason why I CC'd you Dave, is that I know you're very active on the
Cygwin list. Do you remember anything there that might pertain to this?

Thanks
Eric

* RE: Insight 6.1 compile error in Cygwin
@ 2004-10-22 17:41 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-10-22 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: E. Weddington @ 2004-10-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: insight

>>The reason why I CC'd you Dave, is that I know you're very
>>active on the
>>Cygwin list. Do you remember anything there that might
>>pertain to this?
>>

>  That's the second time _TODAY_ and the third time _THIS_WEEK_ that this question
>has cropped up on *this* very list right here.  The answer to it was in the post
>*IMMEDIATELY* before your one.  Check the list archives at
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/, or to be precise the latest period's
>archive at http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q4/ :
>
>2004-10-22 Insight 6.1 compile error in Cygwin E. Weddington
>2004-10-22 RE: Cygwin Insight 6.1 tclWin32Dll.c Compile Error Dave Korn
>2004-10-21 RE: Cygwin Insight 6.1 tclWin32Dll.c Compile Error Steven L. Zook
>2004-10-21 Cygwin Insight 6.1 tclWin32Dll.c Compile Error Tim Van De Walle
>
>  Doesn't *anybody* STFW anymore?

Sure. :-)

The links that you gave in your last message here:
<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q4/msg00046.html>
were to the recent messages on the Insight list, or to Google searches
that point to the Insight list.

It would've been more helpful if you could've just pointed here instead:
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-10/msg00716.html>
That's the one I was trying to remember. Which is on the CYGWIN list not
the Insight list. Plus it was non-obvious that it had anything to do
with Insight; you just said you were trying to build Tcl.

Sorry to have bugged you.

@ 2004-10-22 18:07   ` E. Weddington
From: E. Weddington @ 2004-10-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: insight

Dave Korn wrote:

>>The reason why I CC'd you Dave, is that I know you're very
>>active on the
>>Cygwin list. Do you remember anything there that might
>>pertain to this?
>>

>  That's the second time _TODAY_ and the third time _THIS_WEEK_ that this question
>has cropped up on *this* very list right here.  The answer to it was in the post
>*IMMEDIATELY* before your one.  Check the list archives at

And my apologies for not seeing the links *after* the quoted post which
contained what I was looking for.

@ 2004-10-22 18:12     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-10-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >>The reason why I CC'd you Dave, is that I know you're very
> >>active on the
> >>Cygwin list. Do you remember anything there that might
> >>pertain to this?
> >>

> >  That's the second time _TODAY_ and the third time
> _THIS_WEEK_ that this question
> >has cropped up on *this* very list right here.  The answer
> to it was in the post
> >*IMMEDIATELY* before your one.  Check the list archives at
> >

> And my apologies for not seeing the links *after* the quoted
> post which contained what I was looking for.
>
> Eric

  LOL, your timing is perfect.  I had just written a reply saying just that[*].
Then I said to myself "Nah, I'll give him another ten seconds, to see if he
notices it himself".  Counted to 10, hit Send/Receive all, got your message,
ditched the draft one I was writing.  Hope you should have all you need to get it
working now!

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] And in a non-flamey and only mildly exasperated way, too!