public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Adding a target?
@ 2008-02-26  3:07 Edward L. Hepler
From: Edward L. Hepler @ 2008-02-26  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Thanks for a very nice tool.

I have developed a synthesizable embedded controller based on the MIPS
r2000 instruction set.   It includes a JTAG port that interfaces to
logic in the core that permits debugging (via observability and
controllability of registers, memory, etc.).

I have modified GDB by adding a new target (as part of remote-mips.c) to
accomodate the JTAG port (and also allow GDB to act as a front-end to
drive the VHDL RTL model embedded in a design simulating in Modelsim).

I'd like to use insight to drive gdb and have included the appropriate
gdb modifications.   The "gdb-side" appears to operate properly, but
I'm still having some problems with the GUI portion.  I'd appreciate
any pointers you may be able to send that would help in adding a target
to the GUI...    An error pops up stating that "can't read
"PREFS_state(gdb/load/default-portname value)" no such element in array"

I do have experience in writing Tcl/Tk applications, so some general
pointers may be enough...

Many thanks,

Ed Hepler

P.S.  I'm using insight-6.6  (I downloaded insight-6.7.1, but "configure"
failed due to syntax errors (lines 11 and 19)...  Haven't had time to
look into this...).  I'm also running all of this under Cygwin
on a PC running Windows XP pro...

VLSI Concepts offers synthesizable processor cores for embedded control
applications...  See our standard products and ask about customization...
Dr. Edward L. Hepler
   President,                     Adjunct Professor,
   VLSI Concepts, Inc.            Villanova University Graduate Courses:
     VLSI and System                  ECE-8440 System Design and Modeling
       Architecture, Design,          ECE-8445 Advanced Computer Architecture
       and CAD                        ECE-8460 VLSI Design

email:  hepler@vlsi-concepts.com or  elh@ece.villanova.edu
mobile: (484) 459-1126
www:    http://www.vlsi-concepts.com     Read: I Cor 8:6