public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com>
To: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Lets rename insight to "insight" (imagine that)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:38:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Ok, I just can't take it anymore. For some time,
I have put up a constant stream of bug reports
and requests for help related to the naming
of Insight. The most common seem to be:

1. How do I start insight?

2. I keep getting this --enable-external-editor
   error when I try to run Insight from inside
   Source-Navigator.

3. Help, I can't run gdb after installing Insight.

What is the cause of these problems? The unfortunate
naming of the Insight executable. For some reason
it is called "gdb". This is in despite of the fact
that it is clearly not the gdb that most people
expect to get when typing the command "gdb".

I suggest we change the name of the Insight executable
to "insight". This will make things far more intuitive
and will save us time and money in the long run.

I would also like to get Insight installed on the
default Red Hat release, but that is not currently
possible because /usr/bin/gdb is already taken.

Why is it like this? Well, as far as I can tell
the only reason is "because it has always been
that way". Well, I am sick of it! We don't
have a good reason to keep it the way it is.
In fact, there are many good reasons to change
it. So lets change it.

Comments?

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc