public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Unable to step through ARM code using insgiht-5.0
       [not found] <000601c09778$460cfd60$97010110@thyronlocal>
@ 2001-02-15 11:34 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-02-15 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Ahmed A. Agbabiaka wrote:

[insight-related]
> (Note: The "Continue to here" command" ignores ALL break points).

As discussed in the online help (select "Help->Help Topics..", then
Source Window and Source Window Pop-up Menus), this is the intended
behavior.

I'll leave to others more familiar with ARM support in gdb to address
your other concerns. I will add, though, that I have never had any luck
using ARM's rdi implementation (which they gave to gdb, no longer
maintain, and are no longer interested in seeing kept up to date) at
anything but 9600 baud.

What host/target are you using? I assume it's probably windows-hosted
using rdi?

Keith

* Re: Unable to step through ARM code using insgiht-5.0
@ 2001-02-15 13:01   ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-02-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith Seitz wrote:

> I'll leave to others more familiar with ARM support in gdb to address
> your other concerns. I will add, though, that I have never had any luck
> using ARM's rdi implementation (which they gave to gdb, no longer
> maintain, and are no longer interested in seeing kept up to date) at
> anything but 9600 baud.

Yes, it works at 115200.  I have done it and other have as well.

The ARM AEB board (the $150 board they used to sell) has a bug in it and it would not follow the protocol so switching to a higher speed fails (thus it only works at 9600).
We tried to ask ARM about this and the answer was that we should buy the new $250 development board.

> What host/target are you using? I assume it's probably windows-hosted
> using rdi?

With the current versions of Cygwin it should work fine.

But if you are using a b.20 or some other old version of Cygwin you may encounter problems with serial lines.  It gets worse the higher the speed you use.
In this case, just grab the latest Cygwin and everything will be fine.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

* Re: Unable to step through ARM code using insgiht-5.0
@ 2001-02-15 13:26   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-02-15 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:30:10AM -0800, Keith Seitz wrote:

> [insight-related]
> > (Note: The "Continue to here" command" ignores ALL break points).
>
> As discussed in the online help (select "Help->Help Topics..",
> then Source Window and Source Window Pop-up Menus), this is the
> intended behavior.
>
> I'll leave to others more familiar with ARM support in gdb to
> address your other concerns. I will add, though, that I have
> never had any luck using ARM's rdi implementation (which they
> gave to gdb, no longer maintain, and are no longer interested
> in seeing kept up to date) at anything but 9600 baud.

I use RDI at 19200 (EmbeddedICE) and 38400 (Jeeni) with no
problems under Linux.  The serial/parallel combination also
works well under Linux, though Ethernet (Jeeni) is really the
way to go.

> What host/target are you using? I assume it's probably
> windows-hosted using rdi?

I've heard that serial RDI support under Widows/Cygwin has been
flakey in the past (and not worked at all under some versions
of Cygwin).

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: Unable to step through ARM code using insgiht-5.0
@ 2001-02-15 14:07     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-02-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:01:14PM -0500, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> With the current versions of Cygwin it should work fine.
>

> But if you are using a b.20 or some other old version of Cygwin
> you may encounter problems with serial lines.  It gets worse
> the higher the speed you use. In this case, just grab the
> latest Cygwin and everything will be fine.

Or switch to Linux, and everything will be even finer.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com