public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Gene Smith <gds@chartertn.net>
To: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: 20090609-cvs bad on linux (build fail cygwin)
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 03:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>> But I thought insight has it *own* gdb that never changes? Anyhow,
>> here are the step I use to build it:
>
> No, it does not. Insight CVS uses gdb CVS. Insight 6.8 uses gdb 6.8.
 > It has its own versions of tcl, tk, itcl, etc, but those are now just
 > copies of some release (currently 8.4, I think). Except on cygwin, I > do
 > not use the supplied versions of tcl et al anymore. I use the
 > system-supplied versions on Fedora.
>
> Kevin Buettner is working on updating tcl et al CVS on sourceware to
 > the latest release.
>
>> Hopefully, this will help.
>
> I will give this a go by the end of the week.
>
>> P/S: I am still a bit confused as to whether I should be using the
 >> "system" supplied tcl/tk or the tcl/tck code from insight. I think I
 >> am using insight's. If I should use the system tcl/tk, how do I do
 >> that?
>
> You can use whatever version you would like to. It has been a goal
> ofmine (for quite some time sadly) to eliminate our dependence on a
 > sourceware-supplied tcl/tk/itcl. That requirement originally came in
 > the days of Tcl 8.1, when we carried a bunch of local patches to Tcl.
 > We didn't upgrade sourceware Tcl until 8.4 (or was it 8.3?) and our
 > supplied version of Tcl became identical to upstream.
>
> A little while ago, I got around to eliminating the requirement for
 > sourceware-supplied Tcl. But it remains for historical reasons (and
 > because cygwin still requires it). If we got cygwin "fixed", I guess
 > we could just simply eliminate it altogether from the repo if no other
 > project was using it.

I think winavr project distributes a mingw build of insight. I am pretty
sure mingw has no "system" tcl/tk. However, I don't think many (or any?)
winavr or users use it.

> Keith

Thanks for explaining all this! Now I see.
But since you didn't tell me how to select "system" tcl/tk vs. built-in
I assume you don't think that is related to my problem.