public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: mingw versions working
@ 2012-06-01  8:18 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2012-06-01  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight, Gene Smith

Hi Gene,

 > I also rebuilt a previous version I made for fedora that used an
 > insight
 > snapshot from 2011 but without the tcl/tk/itcl, but using the system
 > versions. It also used the gdb files (except gdbtk which are still
 > insight's own) from Codesourcery. This almost works on windows (now
 > using bundled tcl/tk/itcl) but I can't set breakpoints with the
 > mouse.
It might that the gdbtk code you are using is not matching the
breakpoint handling code in the underlying Codesourcery gdb.

 > However, this mingw version containing codesourcery's gdb
 > (version 7.2)
 > still has one advantage over the the pure insight described in first
 > paragraph: when an ISR is entered the stack display shows the
 > task level
 > context that the ISR was called from like this:
 >
 > main()
 > fn1()
 > fun2()
 > <signal handler called>
 > myIsr()
 > isrSub()
 >
 > The linux build also shows the this same stack/backtrace display
 > (also can set bp's with mouse in linux version).
 > But the "pure" insight
 > version stack display will look something like this:
 >
 > ??
 > ??
 > myIsr()
 > isrSub()
 >
 > I have looked around but don't see this listed anywhere as
 > an improved feature in gdb or codesourcery's version of
 > gdb. But I find it useful and wonder what it would take
 > to add this to the pure insight version?
I don't believe (from my stomach) that the problem here comes
from insight itself. Stack unwinding is done using gdb's
facilities. Have you tried a commandline mingw gdb
(built from the very same code base) and did you issue a
"bt" command there. Do you see than a correct stack dump?
Or have you tried doing a "bt" in insight's console? Is
the stackdump there correct than?

Roland

* mingw versions working
@ 2012-06-01  5:08 Gene Smith
From: Gene Smith @ 2012-06-01  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have successfully built a mingw32 arm-eabi insight that works fine.
This is with a 7.4.50-20120530cvs snapshot. This is also with the
bundled tcl/tk/itcl functions.

I also rebuilt a previous version I made for fedora that used an insight
snapshot from 2011 but without the tcl/tk/itcl, but using the system
versions. It also used the gdb files (except gdbtk which are still
insight's own) from Codesourcery. This almost works on windows (now
using bundled tcl/tk/itcl) but I can't set breakpoints with the mouse.
However, can set bp's using the command line, e.g., "b main" or "b
file.cpp:345". Can also delete bp's with mouse (just can't click and set
them and no red square appears unless set with command line). I don't
know where in the insight/gdb code this graphical breakpoint setting is
handled.

[...]

-gene