The GCC team announced that GCC 3.0 was officially released this Monday morning: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg00994.html It is the first gcc release to officially and seamlessly provide support for the Java language. sources.redhat.com and our primarily mirror ftp.freesoftware.com are being severely hit at this time and you might want to grab your snapshots from secondary mirrors ( http://gcc.gnu.org/mirrors.html , see the attached document if you still can't access this webpage.) On behalf of all those who care about Java, we would like to thank all our contributors. For example, fully integrating Java with the GCC tree and making it compliant with the GCC 3.0 release criteria required a lot of work that regular Java contributors and main GCC contributors very gracefully undertook. If you ever used the Gnu Java toolchain, reported bugs against it, submitted patches, sent suggestions, ported and/or tested it on new platforms and more generally hacked on it; this thank you note goes directly to you. Being one of the languages of the 3.0 release is a lot to be excited about. It will improve the visibility of our work which will lead to more contributions, bug reports, testing work and suggestions for improvements. And remember, if it's not free, it doesn't exist! ./A