* Re: libgcj for win32
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.10.10001161252070.604-100000@cc42593-a.taylor1.mi.home.com>
@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` Jon Beniston
From: Jon Beniston @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java-discuss

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm@sigma6.com>
To: Anthony Green <green@cygnus.com>
Cc: <jb7216@bristol.ac.uk>; <tromey@cygnus.com>
Sent: 16 January 2000 17:56
Subject: Re: libgcj for win32

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Anthony Green wrote:
> > This is great Jon.  Your web site says:
> >
> > "The source code is not currently available as it is in a
> > pre-neanderthal state. It will, however, at some point in the future
> > be added in to the main libgcj distribution."
> >
> > Excellent - I would very much like patches in the main distribution.
> > However, libgcj's license (the LGPL) compels you make sources
> > available for any binary release, no matter what state they're in.
> > Can you please put them up on your site?
>
> For that matter, it's erroneous to assume that the patches aren't useful
> to someone in a "pre-neanderthal" state.  There are volunteers who can
> help get them ready for inclusion in libgcj, including the necessary
> autoconf hacking.

Yeah, I agree. However, I've got to convert them all to GNU style formatting
+ I have absolutley no idea how to use diff or patch! (Sorry, I aint no Unix
guru). I'll make them available very soon.

Jon.

* Re: libgcj for win32
@ 2000-04-01  0:00       ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Beniston; +Cc: Jeff Sturm, java-discuss

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Jon Beniston wrote:
> I've just updated my win32 port of libgcj. New exciting features include:
> Native threads, networking and exception handling. It's at last usable! GC
> will hopefully be implemented very soon. If you have any problems, feel free
> to have a moan.

That's great news, Jon.  Did you port to win32 threads or use the pthreads
compatibility library?  Are you using the Cygwin or Mingw32
compiler environment?

The GC should work without much hassle... but note that it currently
requires the DLL configuration on win32.  If you don't build libgcjgc as a
DLL, it won't get the DLL_THREAD_ATTACH messages and won't work in a
multithreaded VM.

--
Jeff Sturm
jsturm@sigma6.com

* Re: libgcj for win32
@ 2000-04-01  0:00             ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: Jon Beniston, java-discuss

Jeff> Cool.  Yours could be the first thread port in libgcj other than
Jeff> pthreads, so we'll see how portable the thread interface can be.

There's actually a "qthreads" port internal to Red Hat, though this
might not count.  (It isn't a full port.)

Tom

* libgcj for win32
@ 2000-04-01  0:00     ` Jon Beniston
From: Jon Beniston @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: java-discuss

Hello all,

I've just updated my win32 port of libgcj. New exciting features include:
Native threads, networking and exception handling. It's at last usable! GC
will hopefully be implemented very soon. If you have any problems, feel free
to have a moan.

Jon Beniston.

http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~jb7216/libgcj/index.html

* Re: libgcj for win32
@ 2000-04-01  0:00           ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Beniston; +Cc: java-discuss

Jon Beniston wrote:
> > That's great news, Jon.  Did you port to win32 threads or use the pthreads
> > compatibility library?  Are you using the Cygwin or Mingw32
> > compiler environment?
>
> Win32 native. I use a cygwin environment to build, but use -mno-cygwin to
> target
> ming so there's no dependencies on cygwin.dll. (Oops, I forgot to mention
> that
> switch on the web page!). Also included in the binaries is a (hopefully)
> thread safe
> version of libgcc.a (/usr/local/libgccgcj.a).

Cool.  Yours could be the first thread port in libgcj other than
pthreads, so we'll see how portable the thread interface can be.

I assume you built your gcj with --enable-threads=win32 to get
thread-safe exception handling... recent snapshots should have this
option.

> > The GC should work without much hassle... but note that it currently
> > requires the DLL configuration on win32.  If you don't build libgcjgc as a
> > DLL, it won't get the DLL_THREAD_ATTACH messages and won't work in a
> > multithreaded VM.
>
> Er, how do you do that?

Libtool should be able to do it, but probably won't without some
tweaking.  Check out boehm-gc/README.win32 for some pointers... there is
a Makefile.DLLs that was written for a fairly old version of Cygwin
(called GNU-Win32 back then) which may be helpful... failing that, get
dllwrap and try it yourself.  Mumit's site
( http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ ) has very good
information on GCC, Win32 and DLL's.

--
Jeff Sturm
jsturm@sigma6.com

* Re: libgcj for win32
@ 2000-04-01  0:00         ` Jon Beniston
From: Jon Beniston @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: java-discuss

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Jon Beniston wrote:
> > I've just updated my win32 port of libgcj. New exciting features
include:
> > Native threads, networking and exception handling. It's at last usable!
GC
> > will hopefully be implemented very soon. If you have any problems, feel
free
> > to have a moan.
>
> That's great news, Jon.  Did you port to win32 threads or use the pthreads
> compatibility library?  Are you using the Cygwin or Mingw32
> compiler environment?

Win32 native. I use a cygwin environment to build, but use -mno-cygwin to
target
ming so there's no dependencies on cygwin.dll. (Oops, I forgot to mention
that
switch on the web page!). Also included in the binaries is a (hopefully)
thread safe
version of libgcc.a (/usr/local/libgccgcj.a).

> The GC should work without much hassle... but note that it currently
> requires the DLL configuration on win32.  If you don't build libgcjgc as a
> DLL, it won't get the DLL_THREAD_ATTACH messages and won't work in a
> multithreaded VM.

Er, how do you do that?

Cheers,
Jon.