public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: GCJ with OpenJDK Java API instead of GNU Classpath
@ 2009-05-07 14:31 Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2009-05-07 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bmckinlay; +Cc: aph, gnu_andrew, svferro, java

Quoth Andrew John Hughes:
> > Huh?  I was assuming Java compatibility was the goal.

Compatibility with the non-existent specification for Java 7, or with the
equally non-existent JCK for Java 7 (for which there is no JSR)? <G, D & R>

Chris Gray      /k/ Embedded Java Solutions

Scarlet says goodbye to download limits!
ADSL20 NO LIMIT, only € 29,95
Go to www.scarlet.be for more info!

* GCJ with OpenJDK Java API instead of GNU Classpath
@ 2009-05-06 20:43 Sal
From: Sal @ 2009-05-06 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

Forgive me if this is a silly question - but I wanted to ping the list
before spending any time/effort here.

Grabbing GCJ's standard source releases, one can see that GNU classpath
is integrated.   I've actually used classpath a lot and its a very
stable API for me.

However - given recent events, particularly the 'freeing' of Java
sources by Sun - is it a good idea to attempt to use Sun's 'official'
Java API sources instead?  This would give the option of maximum Java
API compatibility but also giving the ability to precompile native code
using GCJ (which you cant do with OpenJDK afaik)

So my questions:

- Has anyone already attempted building the OpenJDK java sources with
GCJ/and/or tried to swap out classpath for those classes?
- if not are people interested in going down this path? I am willing to
put some efforts here.
- Are there licensing issues with linking OpenJDK to other code via GCJ?
 From what I remember 'linking' is a touchy area with some FOSS licenses.

Thanks much in advance for any tips!!

- Sal