public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: tagging classpath for GCC import
       [not found] ` <20121202212044.GA22310@toonder.wildebeest.org>
@ 2012-12-03  1:15   ` Matthias Klose
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthias Klose @ 2012-12-03  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: classpath-patches, GCC Java

Am 02.12.2012 22:20, schrieb Mark Wielaard:
> Hi,
>
> Matthias wanted to import the latest classpath from git into libgcj
> so I have pushed a tag (libgcj-import-20121202) for current HEAD.
> (Note for future reference, to push a tag one uses git push --tags,
> with just git push the tag stays local.)
>
> It seems the git import from CVS lost the old tags. Does anybody
> know of a way to get them from the original CVS history into the
> git repository?

I had a hard time getting any clue that the CVS repo was abandoned. Now finally
found http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=classpath which is not that obvious
when you start at classpath.org.

Further, it looks like classpath did bump the requirement on autoconf to 2.69,
and didn't even bother to document that (m4/iconv.m4 requires macros only found
in 2.69).  classpath itself pretends to require 2.63.

GCC has 2.64, and won't change for the next release. Any hint how to handle this
properly?

  Matthias

* Re: tagging classpath for GCC import
@ 2012-12-03  7:15     ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2012-12-03  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: classpath-patches, GCC Java

Am 03.12.2012 02:15, schrieb Matthias Klose:
> Further, it looks like classpath did bump the requirement on autoconf to 2.69,
> and didn't even bother to document that (m4/iconv.m4 requires macros only found
> in 2.69).  classpath itself pretends to require 2.63.
>
> GCC has 2.64, and won't change for the next release. Any hint how to handle this
> properly?

no, looks like the iconv.m4 file was included without including lib-ld.m4,
lib-link.m4 and lib-prefix.m4, now copied from gettext, and the configure
scripts can be regenerated.

* Re: tagging classpath for GCC import
@ 2012-12-03  9:05     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2012-12-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: classpath-patches, GCC Java

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 02:15 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 02.12.2012 22:20, schrieb Mark Wielaard:
> > It seems the git import from CVS lost the old tags. Does anybody
> > know of a way to get them from the original CVS history into the
> > git repository?
>
> I had a hard time getting any clue that the CVS repo was abandoned. Now finally
> found http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=classpath which is not that obvious
> when you start at classpath.org.

Ah, sorry. That must make it look like GNU Classpath is even less active
than it is :{ It is good to keep the CVS repo around for some time, just
for the historical information like branches and tags that didn't
transfer to the git repo. But not if people get confused by it and don't
know where the current sources are. Maybe we should add a file to CVS
"README_MOVED_TO_GIT" with information where the actively maintained
sources are now found?

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: [cp-patches] tagging classpath for GCC import
@ 2012-12-03  9:29       ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-12-03  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Matthias Klose, classpath-patches, GCC Java

On 12/03/2012 09:05 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Ah, sorry. That must make it look like GNU Classpath is even less active
> than it is :{ It is good to keep the CVS repo around for some time, just
> for the historical information like branches and tags that didn't
> transfer to the git repo.

But that's not supposed to happen, surely.  The transfer to GIT isn't
complete until the tags have been copied.

Andrew.

* Re: [cp-patches] tagging classpath for GCC import
@ 2012-12-03 10:04         ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2012-12-03 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Matthias Klose, classpath-patches, GCC Java

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 09:29 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 09:05 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Ah, sorry. That must make it look like GNU Classpath is even less active
> > than it is :{ It is good to keep the CVS repo around for some time, just
> > for the historical information like branches and tags that didn't
> > transfer to the git repo.
>
> But that's not supposed to happen, surely.  The transfer to GIT isn't
> complete until the tags have been copied.

There is the classpath git tree at
http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/classpath/classpath/
which does have all that. But it only has the CVS part of the history.
The trick now is to figure out how to merge that git tree with the
official GNU Classpath git tree on savannah. Sadly my git foo isn't
strong enough to figure that out :{
So any hints or tips from some more experienced git users appreciated.

Thanks,

@ 2012-12-03 10:44           ` Pekka Enberg
From: Pekka Enberg @ 2012-12-03 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard
  Cc: Andrew Haley, Matthias Klose, classpath-patches, GCC Java,
	Dr Andrew John Hughes

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> wrote:
> There is the classpath git tree at
> http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/classpath/classpath/
> which does have all that. But it only has the CVS part of the history.
> The trick now is to figure out how to merge that git tree with the
> official GNU Classpath git tree on savannah. Sadly my git foo isn't
> strong enough to figure that out :{
> So any hints or tips from some more experienced git users appreciated.

The mirror git tree is where we branched off our current development
tree. You should be able to just push the tags to the tree on
Savannah. Andi?

* Re: [cp-patches] tagging classpath for GCC import
@ 2012-12-03 12:31             ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2012-12-03 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pekka Enberg
  Cc: Andrew Haley, Matthias Klose, classpath-patches, GCC Java,
	Dr Andrew John Hughes

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 12:43 +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> wrote:
> > There is the classpath git tree at
> > http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/classpath/classpath/
> > which does have all that. But it only has the CVS part of the history.
> > The trick now is to figure out how to merge that git tree with the
> > official GNU Classpath git tree on savannah. Sadly my git foo isn't
> > strong enough to figure that out :{
> > So any hints or tips from some more experienced git users appreciated.
>
> The mirror git tree is where we branched off our current development
> tree. You should be able to just push the tags to the tree on
> Savannah. Andi?

aha, they are indeed mostly the same, though there is one commit that
doesn't match (the top one in the mirror, is also present on savannah
but under another commit id) which makes things slightly confusing. So
in principle git push --tags should do it, but how about the branches?

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: tagging classpath for GCC import
@ 2012-12-03 15:00     ` Andrew Hughes
From: Andrew Hughes @ 2012-12-03 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: classpath-patches, GCC Java, Mark Wielaard

> Am 02.12.2012 22:20, schrieb Mark Wielaard:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Matthias wanted to import the latest classpath from git into libgcj
> > so I have pushed a tag (libgcj-import-20121202) for current HEAD.
> > (Note for future reference, to push a tag one uses git push --tags,
> > with just git push the tag stays local.)
> >
> > It seems the git import from CVS lost the old tags. Does anybody
> > know of a way to get them from the original CVS history into the
> > git repository?
>
> I had a hard time getting any clue that the CVS repo was abandoned.
> Now finally
> found http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=classpath which is not that
> obvious
> when you start at classpath.org.

Try reading the mailing list.  It's been discussed at length at the time
and there's been discussion of commits to it since.

> Further, it looks like classpath did bump the requirement on autoconf
> to 2.69,
> and didn't even bother to document that (m4/iconv.m4 requires macros
> only found
> in 2.69).  classpath itself pretends to require 2.63.
>
> GCC has 2.64, and won't change for the next release. Any hint how to
> handle this
> properly?

Classpath works with 2.63 on RHEL6.  That's why I lowered it.

What macros are you referring to?  iconv.m4 is dated 2002 in the header.

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07