public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Next steps for GNU Classpath
@ 2014-09-15  7:34 Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2014-09-15  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley, classpath, java

Hello all,

I'm going back to this question that Andrew asked a few days ago:

> Everyone: let's have a proper discussion.  Is there something we can
> do with GNU Classpath that takes it further forward.  And, if so,
> what?  What would our goals be?

The following is my opinion only:

Now that we have OpenJDK, most Java users will use that on "standard"
environments such as desktop boxes. I would say that there is one
distinct advantage of Classpath over OpenJDK, which is its smaller
size and footprint. This makes it an excellent choice for embedded
systems, where OpenJDK is probably too big, and full of features that
are not always useful in an embedded environment.

I think Classpath has an important opportunity in the embedded world
as a "low-fat" class library for embedded JVMs.

Best,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com