From: "Aaron M. Renn" <arenn@urbanophile.com>
To: "Lam.Mark" <LamM@intgame.com>
Cc: classpath@gnu.org, Paul Fisher <pnfisher@redhat.com>,
	java-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Proposal for CNI/JNI problems
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Lam.Mark (LamM@intgame.com) wrote:
> >Personally, it looks like in the core classes there will be so little
> >code that the JNI/CNI thing could be handled with #ifdef CNI/JNI and
> >a configure time option added to enable it.  Or a set of macros might
> >handled almost everything reasonably well.
>
> Pardon me, but isn't depending on a configure time option simply shifting
> the dependency from gcc to the configurer?  I work on Win32 systems, and in
> my case, a C++ compiler is readily available but I have difficulty finding a
> configurer.  I may be missing the point, but could someone in the know
> please clarify this?  Thanks.

Classpath (and many if not most Unix free software packages) relies on
GNU autoconf to configure itself for compilation.  Kaffe and Japhar also
rely on this, and libgjc too I suspect.  I'm not sure how well these tools
work on Windows or other platforms or how every package handles these
non-Unix like platforms.  Anybody with real life examples?  (I know many
GNU tools have been ported to Win)

--
Aaron M. Renn (arenn@urbanophile.com) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/